Oxford University Russian Club abstains from issuing statement on Ukraine invasion

Estelle Atkinson reports.

The Oxford University Russian Club has decided neither to make a statement nor take an official position on the Russian invasion of Ukraine. In communications seen by Cherwell, when approached by a student, a representative from the club deemed it not appropriate to take a position as the club does not ‘represent’ either party. The communications from the club consistently refer to the invasion as a ‘conflict,’ while both NATO and the United Nations are calling the situation an ‘invasion’ or ‘attack’

The club has a ‘political non-alignment doctrine,’ which was first officially declared by then-President Michael Glenny in 1951. According to the club’s website, “this doctrine remains as resolute today as it was in 1951; our sole aim being the promotion of Russian culture and language within the University, and the fostering of ties between our members and Russia.” 

The club recently announced their intention to form a speaker panel to discuss the ‘unfolding situation,’ saying, “following recent events in the Ukraine, Kazakhstan and other post-Soviet republics, we are trying to put together an emergency specialist speaker panel […] to discuss the unfolding situation as well as the response by the international community.” In the communications seen by Cherwell, the representative said that “due to the timing of current events vs the dates of full term,” the club may struggle to arrange the speaker panel. 

The decision not to issue a statement on the invasion has caused outrage from students on social media, with one student saying they were “utterly disappointed that the Oxford University Russian Society […] decided not to make a statement.”

“What is happening at the moment is not a conflict of two parties, it’s not as they call it an ‘unfolding situation’. It is a war in which innocent people are killed. Staying silent is not the same as being apolitical or impartial. Instead, silence in the face of wrongdoing is acceptance; yes, even a form of support.” 

“If the Oxford Russian Society decides to stay silent today and not to speak up while their country is invading another country – when will they ever?” 

The Oxford Russian Club told Cherwell: “The Russian Club is not making a comment on the ongoing situation and finds it inappropriate to do so or to be asked to do so.”

“However, if you want a comment on the war from Russians and Ukrainians who live in the UK, we are more than welcome to facilitate that (including offering the opinion of committee members), but all these opinions will be offered in a personal capacity, not representing the organisation.”

“As a private members’ club the executive committee cannot express a collective opinion on behalf of all members, especially considering that the private lives of many of them are affected by the war.”

“In contrast with many other student organisations, the Russian Club (reasonably) finds itself unable to compare a private members’ club to the United Nations or NATO.”

“We are trying to put up a panel of speakers with regards to the ongoing situation. We have contacted a government minister a couple of FCDO civil servants as speakers. However we are told that their schedules are understandably packed and that we might struggle to sort out a date for such an event within the two weeks of full term we have remaining.”

Image Credit: Kyivcity.gov.ua