Oxford to continue Ukraine Scholarship with funding from XTX Markets

Oxford’s Graduate Scholarship Programme for Ukrainians has been extended for another year and will be jointly funded with the trading firm XTX Markets, who are contributing £602,550 from their Academic Sanctuaries Fund. The scholarship will fund up to 18 graduates in the next academic year. 

Successful applicants will have the entirety of their course fees covered and will receive a £10,000 grant for living expenses. Alongside that, colleges will also provide free meals and accommodation. 

The scholarship is aimed at well-qualified Ukrainian graduates who were badly affected by the ongoing war – students displaced from neighbouring countries as a result of the war may be considered too. 

Oxford initially announced the scholarship last May following the Russian invasion, continuing a long-established tradition of commitment to supporting refugees. For 2022/23, the programme was co-funded by the university and the participating colleges. Since then, 26 graduates have received the scholarship and been welcomed into Oxford.

Professor Lionel Tarassenko, President of Reuben College, devised this scholarship and said: “Like everyone else, I was horrified when the conflict started in late February, and immediately began to think about how best to help the people of Ukraine. Having been an academic in the University for the past 34 years, I had no doubt that Oxford could play its part in supporting students fleeing from the conflict. 

He continued: “The funding from XTX Markets is the first step towards making the scheme sustainable, at a time when all universities are facing serious financial challenges.” 

Simon Coyle, the Head of Philanthropy at XTX Markets, said: “XTX Markets is delighted to be funding the University of Oxford to expand its Graduate Scholarships for Ukraine, supporting people displaced by the war in Ukraine. 

“We are encouraged that this programme will focus on supporting students who can help Ukraine build back better, in this case by providing one-year master’s courses in areas that are crucial to reconstruction, including energy systems, medicine and science.”

Myroslava Hartmond, the programme coordinator, said: “Seeing the programme come to life has been emotional for me. I was born in Ukraine and first came to Oxford in 1995, when I was just five years old to join my academic father Andrij Halushka at Worcester College (one of the first Ukrainians to study and teach in the UK). 

“When I arrived, I didn’t speak any English and missed my mother every single day, but the opportunities that waited for me in the UK made it all worthwhile. Today, my mother Natasha is here with me, and we are proud to be a part of a visible Ukrainian community. As our scholars adjust to the demands of an Oxford degree, it feels deeply rewarding to see them thrive, not just as individuals, but as a community.”