To all the pubs we’ve loved before

Susanna Elliot and Reka Sztaray bring the first instalment of their review of Oxford's pubs.

We are Réka and Suzy, two law finalists on a mission to find the best pubs in Oxford. We will begin our journey by reviewing our clear favourite so far, our home away from home, the Lamb and Flag. It was the preferred pub of legends such as CS Lewis, JRR Tolkien and has been selling pints since the 16th century with its profits historically funding DPhil scholarships at St. John’s College. Ever the philanthropists eager to give to a good cause, we often come here to forget our latest medical negligence case by drinking our favourite pint, the Prospect. A delicious, sweet pint with a low ABV that only costs £4.50, it’s the perfect drink to relax and wash away your essays without acquiring a hangover. We would encourage everyone to try it, even those who have not acquired the taste for beer. Even if the Prospect isn’t your thing, the pints pulled at L&F are constantly changing, so you will never be stuck for something new to try – like the chai cider from last term. This pub isn’t the destination for a 4-course meal, but the bar snacks are perfectly satisfactory. Due to its fame and location the L&F fills up quickly after 8pm so best come early if you expect a large group! Overall, you can’t beat the lively atmosphere of the place, and there’s no better place to celebrate meeting a deadline or numb the pain of many more to come. Until next week!