College football round up, division two

UNIVERSITY 1 CORPUS-LINACRE 0 
University entertained Corpus-Linacre on Friday in a game of vital importance to the Division Two promotion race. Just before Christmas, top of the table Univ travelled to Corpus and came from behind to win 2-1. It was a real smash and grab job, and one Corpus fan remarked ‘at least Dick Turpin wore a mask’. There was little doubt that the away side was out for revenge today.  
Having said this, Univ’s home record this season has been near perfect, and despite again missing several important players, they started confidently. In the early stages, the prolific Will Stuart was twice played through, but on both occasions rolled the ball inches wide of the post. Corpus looked in defiant mood though, and defended stoutly against the home side’s free-flowing football. The game descended into a war of attrition, and midway through the first half Univ midfielder Owen Goodfield was harshly booked for a marginally late challenge. The first half was not one for the purists, as clear-cut opportunities were few and far between. Univ are certainly not the most physically strong team in the division, but were forced to match the aggressive approach of the away side today. The first half ended with the scores locked at 0-0, with little indication as to who might eventually come out on top. 
The second half began as the first period had concluded, with both teams looking tense.  However, just after the hour mark, the decisive incident of the match occurred. Univ’s Will Stuart was again played through, but this time was impeded by the Corpus keeper, who came charging out of goal and pole-axed the striker, leaving him dazed and confused. The resultant penalty was of course left to top scorer James Gingell, who confidently powered the ball into the net. The keeper went the right way but found the strike too hot to handle. Univ took a priceless one-goal lead. 
As a result, Corpus were forced to throw men forward in an attempt to salvage something from the game.  They were incensed not to be awarded a penalty with just ten minutes left on the clock, while at the other end, Chris Taylor came agonisingly close to doubling the home side’s advantage. His toe-poked effort was well turned away by the Corpus keeper. As the game went into stoppage time, Corpus’ efforts became more desperate, but in truth they never really threatened the home side’s back four, who were excellent throughout. Univ’s celebrations on the final whistle befitted those of a side who had just taken a huge step towards promotion, while Corpus were left to ponder another narrow defeat at the hands of the High Street club.