The accessories trend report

I just googled the word shoe: an item of footwear intended to protect and comfort the human foot. Wikipedia, I beg to differ. I love skyscraper heels, but I can say with absolute authority that they do not protect or comfort anything. This season, however, practicality is key: kitten heels, brogues, shoe boots and chunky heels are officially* in. Mannish shoes are the order of the season in autumnal browns and caramels, a welcomed antidote to summer’s flowers and frou-frou. The reinvention of the gentleman’s slipper is right up my street. My favourites are Tom Ford’s mocha velvet pair, but if you don’t have a spare three grand, Office have a lovely version for £62. If I was the Old Woman I would live in THIS shoe and for those still in the 90s, Dr Martens are back with a bang.

*According to Cherwell

Mary Renton

This season the “it” bag is a thing of the past – fashion has decided to give our bank accounts and our nerves a break and introduce a new generation of bags: good quality and classic styles that rise above the “in and out” fashion trends. The frame bag is essential to every girl’s wardrobe – its classic, structured shape and leather in mute colours means it will never outdate. For those of you who like their accessories slightly more extravagant, this season’s key textures and patterns – fur, sequins, leopard print, crocodile skin – have all found their way onto our purses. Don’t be afraid to go all out with these statement bags: go for bright colours, sparkles and over-the-top luxe. Remember, the key look this season is classy, so keep your overall outfit subtle – you are aiming for understated elegance.

Anahit Behrooz

Often overlooked, tights, socks and stockings are a must for winter accessorizing Opaque lighter shades can uplift your outfit and add a more delicate, feminine feel. Spice up the monotony of drab dark colours by opting for white or off-white tights. These can brighten up and contrast with darker colours or blend in with a softer and lighter palette. If you are in need of something more substantial against the worst of British weather, try thick woolen tights. Feeling apprehensive about the textures trend? These are perfect for your literal and metaphorical cold feet. If you fancy getting a bit more leg on show, ankle socks with heels were all over the catwalks this season. Although ‘socks with sandals’ are usually synonymous with fashion faux pas, with heel heights diminished to more sensible proportions, socks join the ranks of the practical yet stylish .

Laura Butterfield