Live Review: Marina and the Diamonds

A lot has changed since I last saw Marina Diamandis play live. Aged 17, I saw a rough and ready set of quirky, new-wave inspired songs, whereas what this initially cynical 20-year-old witnessed on Monday night at the O2 was a rather more polished affair. Diamandis has faced criticism for abandoning her indie roots and switching to a more commercialised and chart friendly sound. However, despite some dramatic changes, one thing remains consistent – this lady knows how to put on a show.

The stage transformed with a set reminiscent of the bedroom scene in Grease, and Diamandis appeared bedecked in a wedding veil, kicking off with a rousing version of ‘Lonely Hearts Club’. Effortlessly switching between songs with a warm and engaging patter, some of her old eccentric charm was retained in the use of props such as a ‘Miss Shellfish Beach’ sash and a bizarre robotic dog called Marilyn.

Though the set closer, ‘Fear and Loathing’, fell a little flat, Diamandis’ vocals were otherwise impressive, particularly on crowd favourites ‘I Am Not a Robot’ and ‘Primadonna’. Gone was the static and slightly awkward performance of three years ago, replaced with a display of sheer energy and bombastic dynamism, as she bounded, twirled and cavorted across the stage.

Admittedly, much like the cheesy American high school films and pop culture from which Diamandis draws so much of her imagery, the show was rather frothy and lacked real substance, but it didn’t matter: as a thoroughly enjoyable evening of saccharine pop, it deserves an equally cheesy double thumbs up.