OUSU secure extra grant

Following continual lobbying by a number of OUSU members including its President, David J Townsend, the University has agreed to increase OUSU’s budget for next year by £100,000.

The increase is seen as a crucial extension to OUSU’s budget, which in 2009 made a loss of up to £58,000. It is hoped that the newly available funds will be able to improve OUSU’s national standing, which saw the Student Union placed third to last in a national survey last year. 

OUSU relies almost entirely on a block grant from the University to fund its activities. Last term, the OUSU Council passed a motion which highlighted underfunding within the organisation, condemning the real terms cut that the Student Union’s budget was expected to receive. However, this week’s unanticipated increase to OUSU’S budget is expected to provide a breath of fresh air to its finances.

The Student Union was keen to stress that this latest development is the result of a joint effort by MCR’s, JCR’s and OUSU’s Trustee Board, which approached the University on a number of occasions in order to raise with the Vice Chancellor. MCR Presidents wrote a collective letter to the Vice-Chancellor through their Chair, Univ MCR President, and JCR Presidents from Balliol, St John’s, Merton, Queen’s, Magdalen, Hertford, Worcester among others wrote individually to the Vice-Chancellor. Students, academics and university staff also approached the Vice-Chancellor with a giant Valentine’s Card presented to him at Congregation in February. 

In an interview with Cherwell, OUSU President David J Townsend welcomed the increase to the Student’s Union funding, explaining that this year’s funding had been “tenuous and problematic”, incurring a number of administrative issues which have hindered its functioning. 

The average Russell Group student union receives £80 per student, whilst OUSU have pointed out that the total grant for OUSU and JCR’s put together amounts to a mere £50 per student, only £17.50 of which goes to the Student Union itself. OUSU have been calling for an increase to their allowance for several years now, and the budget increase announced this week is seen as a success on their part. 

David J. Townsend, OUSU President, commented that: “This is a massive achievement for OUSU.  My predecessors have been trying for years without success, and it’s great to be able to actually make it happen at last.  It’s testament to the strength of OUSU working closely with common rooms that we can achieve things like this.  There’s more to do before OUSU has the level of funding it really needs for the future, but this is a significant step in the right direction.  Now it’s up to students, through their representatives on the Trustee Board and the Council of the Student Union, to decide how to spend it and get the most out of their Student Union.”

In a press release earlier this week, OUSU cited communication with its members and greater support for faculty and departmental elected members as being their main priorities. OUSU’s 2013-2014 budget, which will some into effect under the presidency of Tom Rutland, and will include the £100,000 extension, will be discussed during this term. 

Millie Ross, Magdalen JCR President, who wrote to the University to support the increase, told Cherwell that “It is clear that OUSU has a really important role in the lives of students in Oxford and I was so happy to hear that the University funding body has recognized this. The response I received to my letter was encouraging and demonstrates that they are listening to students’ needs. The JCR Presidents in particular recognise the work that is done by OUSU in supporting our students despite the unique system of JCR-OUSU interaction.”

A spokesperson for the university added that “OUSU plays an important role in representing the interests of students at all levels of university governance, providing student support and guidance, and promoting key university agendas including widening access. The university has recognised the importance of continuing to fund these activities and support the full range and scale of OUSU’s work.”