Keble ‘celebrate diversity’ with new portrait

The portrait of Sir James Cameron Tudor, the first student of African-Caribbean descent to be elected president of the Oxford Union, is to be unveiled at the college

A new portrait of the first student of African-Caribbean descent to be elected president of the Oxford Union has been unveiled at Keble College.

Sir James Cameron Tudor, who was president for Michaelmas 1942, is an alumnus of the college, where he studied Philosophy, Politics, and Economics.

He went on to become a prominent Barbadian politician and a founding member of the country’s Democratic Labour Party in 1955 – which led the country to independence in 1966.

The warden of Keble, Sir Jonathan Phillips, said it showed the college’s “wish to celebrate the diversity of its alumni and student body”.

He said: “The college is very pleased that the achievements of such a distinguished individual are being recognised in this way.”

Tudor also led Keble’s Junior Common Room committee for a period during the war, where the college was requisitioned for war purposes and students re-housed in other colleges.

The portrait was unveiled to mark St Mark’s day, which also marks the date of John Keble’s birth in 1792 and the laying of the Keble Foundation Stone in 1868.