Oxford Gallop to Varsity Victory

LIGHT Blue determination posed a tough challenge for Oxford’s polo players, but the Blues’ excellent  teamwork and superior tactics enabled them to eventually dominate the scoreboard.
The university polo team faced off against Cambridge on 9th of June 2007, for the annual varsity match at Guards Polo Club. This year Oxford was led by their veteran captain and talisman Alexander Gleeson, who superbly marshalled the team to a deserved win over the light blues.
Cambridge, for their part, could not make their three goal handicap advantage count for much, despite the game being played ‘off the stick’, as has been the varsity match tradition.
The first of four chukkas (periods) saw Oxford’s confident play cancel out Cambridge’s opening goal and catapult them into an early lead, with the dark blues ending the period with a comforting 3-1 lead. Jamie Dundas, who would eventually contribute two of Oxford’s goals, had an especially strong showing in the opening chukka, helping Oxford nudge ahead. Cambridge though would not be dismissed so easily, and they got back into the match in the second period, drawing level 4-4.
Oxford, however, would not be deterred in their quest to avenge the previous year’s bitter Varsity defeat. Carlos and Memo Cressida, Oxford’s two professional Varsity match coaches, provided valuable tactical advice which helped the squad regain the initiative. The final two chukkas witnessed an inspiring Oxford revival, with solid teamwork – combined with individual skill – giving the Dark blues the edge.
Henrietta Seligman and Fredrik Vannberg, despite playing their first Varsity match, showed impressive defensive prowess, riding off their opposite numbers and denying Cambridge’s most dangerous player, Ollie Clarke, the space to really show his skills. Quick movements of the ball up the pitch allowed Dundas and Gleeson to catch Cambridge unawares and run in a succession of goals, furthering the gap between the two sides.
Seligman in particular displayed a fearless attitude, brushing off a fall, impressively saving a penalty in the third chukka, and then creating an Oxford goal.
The highlight of the afternoon, however, was a rapid-fire Oxford goal, with Vannberg dispossessing his opposite number, quickly dispatching the ball up the field for Gleeson, the official match ‘Most Valuable Player’, to tear through the Cambridge ranks for another Oxford tap-in, all in the space of a few seconds.
The writing was on the wall: Gleeson would tally seven times in the course of Oxford’s 9-5 triumph, a fitting end for both the afternoon and the season.