Oxford earn thrilling win

Oxford (203-7) beat Cambridge (200 all out) by 3 wicketsOxford’s women claimed victory in an oustanding Varsity match, edging out a resurgent light blue side by just three wickets.Oxford won the toss and invited Cambridge to bat. Georgia Gale Grant and Lottie Waller took a quick wicket each to remove both Tab openers within overs and Oxford had the early advantage. However this brought together Cambridge’s Jane Allison and Kate Hawton who, after a watchful start built a strong partnership, dispatching wayward bowling towards the very short boundaries. Oxford were very thankful for a trademark miserly spell from Helen Turner who eventually removed Hawton and followed this with a second wicket to leave Cambridge 118-4, with the game well balanced.The spectators were treated to an exceptional innings from Jane Allison, who demonstrated a superb array of shots and frustrated the Oxford bowlers by successfully keeping the strike. Cambridge looked to be running away with the game until Gale Grant brought herself back into the attack with the score on 156-4. She took wickets with her fifth and sixth balls, and with the first ball of the following over became the first woman ever to take a hat-trick at Lord’s.Oxford, taking heart from their captain’s tremendous bowling performance, raised their game and Alexis Blane secured a run-out with a tremendous direct hit as Allison tried to secure the strike. Allison reached her hundred off 141 balls and put on 35 for the ninth wicket with Kim Roach before she was last out to Blane for an exceptional 109. The Cambridge side seemed sure they had already wrapped up the game, forgetting that on a field as small as the Nursery Ground, 201 was definitely an achievable target.Oxford lost Sarah Berman early, leaving Gale Grant to anchor the innings. She built partnerships with Emma Collins, who made 18, and Natalie Wells, 23, but after 25 overs Oxford only had 86 on the board. Helen Turner began to up the tempo, playing beautifully until she was dismissed for 29. Gale Grant reached fifty off 126 balls, having held the innings together and allowed her partners to score freely. Most people on the ground were wondering whether she had left it too late to accelerate, but 14 runs were scored off the 44th over and for the first time, Oxford looked to be favourites. In a final twist in a see-saw match, Gale Grant fell for 53 in the 45th over, leaving Oxford 16 to win with two new batsmen at the crease and most of the team with no fingernails left.ARCHIVE: 0th week MT 2005