Drama Review: Laughtracks

by Sarah DaviesDespite its title, Tom Costello’s newest play is anything but a laughing matter. Set in a dystopian not-too-distant future, the audience is thrown into a world ravaged by over-population, social darwinism, and severely mediocre sitcoms.

The premise of the play is simple: the characters work as scriptwriters on the most popular show on TV. They hate it, but when they are instructed to end it by murdering the entire cast in the most mundane way possible, it creates a dilemma – surely even this, the very worst of shows, deserves a satisfactory ending?

However, the main interest of the play lies in the relationships between the cast members. At first it seems that it is a straightforward case of adultery, and we watch as Charlotte tries to make the decision between her ever-so-slightly dull boyfriend and  her exciting toyboy. Yet as the play progresses it becomes clear the choice is not between men but between principles. Should she stay with her idealistic partner in reality, trying to make a difference, or move to the gated paradise of “the Orchard” and live carefree with her lover? Ultimately, her choice forces both Charlotte, and the audience, to question which they value more: moral standards or individual happiness.

The cast’s performances add variety and encourage you to engage with what could have ended up a rather depressing production. There’s the overtly public school boyfriend, the obnoxious intern trading on his father’s name, and the adulterous Charlotte, who despite having no one but herself to blame one can’t help but sympathise with.

In short: the idea’s interesting, the script’s good and the performances are engaging. 
By: Tom Costello
BT, 9.30pm Tues-Sat
6th Week