Vote Obama for hope, Clinton for spin

by Scott Hugo The United States of America stand at a crossroads in 2008, and the fate of our country will be directed by the individual that we choose to exemplify the nation and serve as our ambassador to the greater world. The past eight years have witnessed a precipitous decline in our international prestige and power; one cannot overstate the momentous decision that is now presented to the American people. The 2008 primaries embody a referendum on the very integrity and viability of American democracy. Senator Hillary Clinton is undoubtedly an intelligent politician who can excel as a leader within Washington DC. Progressives are heartened by the fact that a woman can run as a presidential candidate and be considered the front-runner, without the historical backlash that gender would induce. However it is in my opinion as an independent that a Clinton White House would be detrimental to the United States. Her election would serve to polarize the electorate once more, driving home the perpetual wedge between political alignments of red and blue. She has shown little interest in reaching across the aisle and working with Republicans of integrity and ideas. This is not to say that Hillary has not served her country with distinction and honor – but the excessive spin of the Clinton political machine, the defining role of lobbyists and special interests in their political careers, and the ease with which they utilize traditional attack politics represent the very atmosphere in DC that we are trying so desperately to escape. After months of contemplation I have chosen to endorse Senator Barack Obama, who embodies the charisma and leadership that our country so urgently requires. He is the self-made man on which the United States has prided itself throughout its short history. Honorable, passionate service as a Chicago community organizer, years as Illinois State Senator and US Senator give him the necessary experience for the White House. And yet the presidency encompasses more than mere day to day management – it grants the holder an incomparable ability to lead and to inspire. One needs look no further than the unparalleled activism of young men and women in his support. He has re-engaged the American people and reminded us of the better angels of our nature, much like Lincoln and Kennedy in years past.  There are few contemporaries who have displayed his mastery in achieving the difficult balance between pragmatism and principle. Senator Obama has backed his passion for reforming Washington D.C. with hard-fought legislation, drawing from a range of allies on Capitol Hill. Together with Senator Feingold, Obama passed one of the strongest pieces of ethics legislation to date. He has repeatedly avowed to publicize pork barrel projects and the ignominious use of free riders in the hopes of preserving the initial thrust and momentum of quality legislation. I will be one of the first to admit that I do not agree with all of his policies. However I am confident that he will surround himself with the most capable individuals our nation has to offer. They will be individuals of varied convictions and political persuasions, protecting the White House from the insulated bunker mentality to which the current administration has fallen victim. His years in office will neither be perfect nor smooth, and there will be inevitable disappointments and failures. However I am convinced that he is capable of retaining his original vision for change and will fight day-in, day-out to achieve the progress that our times demand.  My generation has recognized what Barack Obama can do for our politics and for our country. He is the first step in an arduous journey in search of the American ideals we profess to uphold.It has been too long since the American populace embraced that elusive word… “hope”. History has proven it to be our greatest strength as a nation, the very basis of the American Dream. And we are here to reclaim it once more. This is our movement. This is our stand. This is our future.  Scott Hugo is a former Oxford student now working on Obama's election campaign.