Uni tuition fees frozen by government

University tuition fees are to be frozen for at least five years, Westminster promised this week.

Speaking on behalf of the Higher Education Funding Council for England, chief executive David Eastwood has proclaimed that universities nationwide should not be expecting tuition fees to rise with inflation, in light of the current economic crisis.

He said; “I think it’s inconceivable that the cap will rise significantly before 2013.”

A spokesman for the Department for Innovation Universities and Skills added that, “the government is committed to growing student numbers and to ensuring finance is no barrier to going to university.”

The move follows revelations that any increases in tuition fees would prove a strain on government finances.

Some leading research universities have estimated that Universities will require their students to pay £3000 more every year in tuition fees.

If this is the case, then students would be required to borrow more money from the government.

The London School for Economics has estimated that if students were forced to take out a student loan of a minimum of £5,000, then this would incur the cost of £1.5 billion to the government’s treasury.

Paul Dwyer, OUSU VP for access and academic affairs has expesed his delight at the move.

He said, “I think that it would be fantastic… for all students if there was a freeze on the fees that they have to pay for their education.”

However, he admitted that he was frustrated that the move was motivated by the credit crunch alone, and not by the constraints tuition fees have on students, “I think it is a little disappointing that the government would only consider this option in an unfavourable economic climate, and not as part of their wider thinking on university funding.”

Meanwhile, Mark Mills, student and councillor for Holwell, has little faith in the government’s promise.

He said, ‘‘for the government to say they’re not raising tuition fees is like someone attacking you in the street promising not to hit you again.”

Many students have wondered as to what future impact this might have on their finances.

Economics and Management 2nd year Jane Rudderham said, ‘the increased burden for the Government of capping the tuition fees may cause a rise in future taxation to compensate.

“So either way students will have to eventually pay for the governments higher costs, either from more debts incurred by the capping or from having to pay higher future income taxes.”

The move has also raised questions as to how the University will be able to cope financially.

3rd year PPEist Max Thompson said, “It’s a good thing to do, because if people are struggling financially, then they’d be less inclined to apply.

But I don’t know if it will work in practice.”

Other students expressed concern that the capping may force colleges to raise cost of battels because, as one law student stated, ‘‘if the cost is passed on to the colleges, then the college would have to meet that.”

However, OUSU’s access and academics rep, Joy Wong, remained positive about the move.

She said, “considering the momentum of the Oxford fundraising campaign that was launched in Trinity Term this year, I am confident that Oxford would not only be able to maintain its current standard without raising fees, but also to enter on a level playing field with universities in America in the near future.”

The government’s pledge to freeze tuition fees has arrived in the same week that the Higher Education Secretary, John Denham, has spoken in support of radically altering the UK’s university system.

If his plans go ahead, Oxford University may be compelled by the government to introduce a credit marking system based on the US model.

Oxford may also have to forsake its long holidays in favour of being able to offer part time courses.

A spokesperson for Oxford University said that the matter was “only at the beginning of consultations.”

However, Max Thompson described the idea as ‘ridiculous’ and that it ‘impedes on [the universities’] autonomy.”

Joy Wong echoed this, saying, “the reality of Oxford life shows that part-time degrees in Oxford would either lead to the lowering of the standard of Oxford education, or disadvantage the part-time students.”

Mark Mills concluded by saying; “I do not think it’s a good idea that a government minister in Westminster to dictate how universities should be run.”