LMH student dies

A second-year undergraduate student at Lady Margaret Hall has died. The Principal of the College has released the following statement through the University Press Office:

“We were shocked and profoundly saddened by the death of John Ddungu, a second-year undergraduate at Lady Margaret Hall.

“John was extremely well liked by all and had many friends in college. He will be greatly missed.

“Our thoughts and deepest sympathy are with his family and friends at this very difficult time.”

A letter has been sent to students of the college informing them of Mr Ddungu’s death.

The cause of death is currently unknown. Oxfordshire County Council’s coroner’s office has said that an inquest will take place to ascertain whether Mr Ddungu took his own life.

Thames Valley Police have said, “The death is not being treated as suspicious” and confirmed that they were called to the college on Friday. A spokesperson added, “We can confirm we were called to Lady Margaret Hall at approximately 5pm on Friday February 27 following reports of an unexplained death of a 20-year-old man.”

Sourav Choudhury, JCR President at LMH, said, “John was a universally popular and well liked student within LMH. His death has naturally upset and touched both his close friends and the wider college community. At this difficult time we ask to be allowed to grieve in private.”

The University has declined to comment further on the matter but has confirmed that the counselling service is currently offering special support to students at the college.

The counselling service at Oxford provides free and confidential assistance for students with personal, social, emotional or academic problems. More information is available here.