LMH strike while the iron is hot

Last Sunday on the tropical terrain of Iffley astro, anyone who wasn’t too busy getting burnt would have been able to witness the delights of the University Mixed Hockey Cuppers Finals. Silky skills, sweat and supporters were all out in full force as LMH and Anne Somers (St Anne’s/Somerville) battled it out for the highly sought-after title of Cuppers Champions.

If any onlooker had cared to predict the result from the warm-up, the prize would undoubtedly have gone to Anne Somers, who were looking motivated and rehearsed next to a distinctly casual LMH side. Not surprising perhaps coming from a college who has never entered a team into the competition before and only squeezed in their entry application less than 24 hours before the deadline. Just goes to show how sometimes it pays off to back the underdog.

As umpires Will Alderton and returning OUHC legend David Cresswell blew the starting whistle, Anne Somers took the initiative with Toby Burton making some good early runs to put pressure on the LMH defence line. A goal-line save from reliable defender Jonathan Monk saved LMH from early humiliation but the threat was by no means over yet. Blues player Becci Carpenter of St Anne’s steamed into the attack fearless of the male weight around her, forcing Monk to show his more gentlemanly side at tackling as she darted in front of him to collect the ball.

Gritty stick skills from Nick Randall set up the first goal for Anne Somers as Martin Sykes punished the ball into the corner of the goal with a powerful slap.

Anne Somers continued to fight for consolidation of their lead but it was not to be. Frustrated to have let one slip by and spurred on by forceful words from LMH Blues Cuppers secretary Mark Kinder on the sideline, LMH rose like a sleeping lion as Lucy Pares dribbled past defence on the left wing to finish off the second-phase with a sneaky push past GK Watson’s right foot.

With 1-1 at half-time the seemingly equally matched sides returned to the arid pitch with all to play for. Once again it was Anne Somers who came out with the early goal as Sykes buried another past the keeper. With three unsuccessful short corners successfully defended, James Geake felt it was time to spice up the game with a glory run down the middle, outrunning and outplaying as he streaked past in a whirl of colourful socks, setting up the pitch for LMH to score their second goal.

The pace heated up as the sun continued to scorch the supporters, and moments later LMH repeated their central sprint to take the lead. Anne Somers suffered a disallowed goal for a questionable foot in the D and as time ticked away their attempts became more frantic. LMH were having none of it though, and a final jazzy scoop from Roy Wheeler brought the match to close at 4-2. All credit to the side that offhandedly knocked out defending champions Teddy Hall in their opening match to bring the title home on their very first solo appearance in the tournament.