Review: Three More Sleepless Nights

In Three More Sleepless Nights by Caryl Churchill, Kontrast Theatre Productions present an engaging, meticulous and powerful depiction of human interactions at their most fundamental level and exemplifies the very best aspects of student drama.

Caryl Churchill’s script follows two troubled couples over the course of forty-five minutes; Margaret and Frank, and Dawn and Pete. The final scene sees Pete and Margaret, rid of their previous partners, apparently content, or so it would appear. Whilst ostensibly each pair seems unique, the common fragility of their respective relationships is made abundantly clear through a bewildering array of heart-wrenching monologues, explosive arguments and lingering silences. That each one of us, as audience members, can relate on some level to the experiences enacted before our very eyes makes Three More Sleepless Nights a decidedly unsettling theatrical experience.

The small cast of four is impressive. Kim Fitzgerald as Frank imbues his character with a volatility and violence of emotion – see-sawing between anger and despair – that leaves onlookers in a state of bemusement. Margaret, played by Hanan Abdalla, pulls at our heart-strings; trapped with a young child in a tumultuous marriage, she expertly portrays a woman struggling to hold onto that glimmer of love long since lost. Antonia Tam combines an eerie, supernatural delivery with purpose of action to great effect as the suicidal Dawn. Pete (Edmond Boulle) provides an almost comic element to the piece; conceited and unable to communicate with his so obviously troubled girlfriend, he retreats within himself in order to avoid the hopelessness of his own existence.

The Burton Taylor Studio, as harnessed by director Matt Orton, provides a perfect setting for the action; its claustrophobic space serves to heighten the emotionality of the piece. Judicious placing of mirrors and the incorporation of an audience gangway into the performance area engenders a sense of awkward participation. We feel distinctly uneasy gazing upon a bedroom; the most intimate of environments is laid bare for all to see. All action takes place around the central over-seized bed, from which a different sheet is removed to signify change of scene. Tilted at a twenty-five degree angle, observers are given a direct view into this truly personal space; the actors appear as mere objects under a microscope.

Truly compelling acting, proficient direction, subtlety in staging; at under an hour in length Three More Sleepless Nights is not to be missed.

(four stars out of five)

Three More Sleepless Nights by Caryl Churchill will be at the Burton Taylor Studio, 6th Week, 21.30, Tuesday-Saturday