Activists occupy roundabout

Protesters set up a Climate Camp on Magdalen roundabout on Tuesday to heighten the awareness of climate change in the run up to the UN Climate Conference in Copenhagen.

The Climate Camp was organised in conjunction with six other universities across the UK that held similar events.

Protesters began setting up camp at around 10am, and the protest continued until around midnight. The event included workshops, poetry readings and music. Locally sourced organic vegetables were served to attendees.

Participants were keen to demonstrate sustainable living and did so by using a bike to generate power for the camp.

Will McCallum, a Wadham fourth year said the protesters wanted to “wake people up to the realities of climate change.”

The camp had been planned to be held in South Parks, but was then moved to a more high profile spot.

Attendees included Oxford and Brookes students, members of the public and even a few Big Issue sellers. This week’s Big Issue has a large feature on climate change.

McCallum said participants included those who had previously been involved in climate change issues, as well as newcomers. He described Climate Camp as an “outreach event” for those “looking to make your uni greener.”

Oxford student Jake Colman said Climate Camp gave people a “space to come together, share and learn skills and form a community to fight climate change.”

Eorann Lean, OUSU VP for Charities and Community commented, “I believe Oxford students care a lot about the environment – events like the climate camp and the many others leading up to Copenhagen like the 350 demonstration last week show this. Oxford students are engaging in the climate debate and working to bring about the change we want to see.”

OUSU Environment and Ethics Committee Chair, Mae Penner told Cherwell the event was a success and it was “fantastic to see so many people who were enthusiastic to come together” to discuss climate change in Oxford.

According to protesters, the council told them the protest could go ahead as long as they did not obstruct traffic.

The protest was peaceful and there were no arrests. A spokesperson for the police said, “Police officers have attended and spoken to the protesters, helping to facilitate a lawful and peaceful protest.”