Don’t underestimate Tottenham

Jumping to conclusions; the perennial curse of fan, pundit and journo alike. Liverpool defeated Tottenham 2-0, at home, last night and suddenly they have put Harry Redknapp’s jumped-up top four pretenders in their place. Suddenly the media are praising a Liverpool side overcoming the odds shorn of four major talents and predicting the imminent annual Tottenham collapse to top-half ignominy.

Sure, Liverpool did remarkably well under the circumstances, but while they can claim to have produced a measured, controlling performance they were leagues short of scintillating. Producing a largely dominant performance against an off colour Tottenham does not a turning point make. This was a relatively turgid encounter which largely showed what both clubs are lacking, not that one is superior to the other.

Liverpool’s starting line-up, and by extension their limited squad, remains a serious cause for concern and will continue to do so in the coming month as their injury woes persist. They have produced one positive backs to the wall display and are certainly not out of the woods. One need only look at continuing threat of Manchester City and Villa to tell you that, never mind Tottenham themselves.

Tottenham were poor on the nigJumping to conclusions; the perennial curse of fan, pundit and journo alike. Liverpool defeated Tottenham 2-0, at home, last night and suddenly they have put Harry Redknapp’s jumped-up top four pretenders in their place. Suddenly the media are praising a Liverpool side overcoming the odds shorn of four major talents and predicting the imminent annual Tottenham collapse to top-half ignominy.

Tottenham were poor on the night, but casual onlookers should take note of the absence of Aaron Lennon, so often the star of their show, and the man that usually feeds him the ball in Tom Huddlestone. Add this to an unfit defence and Liverpool were hardly facing the finest Tottenham could offer. The Londoners had an off night, but Harry Redknapp still has far less to worry about that his Spanish counterpart.

Tottenham have produced football this season worthy of only a handful of other clubs. Liverpool have been largely shocking and one hard fought result does not change the balance of an entire season.

ht, but casual onlookers should take note of the absence of Aaron Lennon, so often the star of their show, and the man that usually feeds him the ball in Tom Huddlestone. Add this to an unfit defence and Liverpool were hardly facing the finest Tottenham could offer. The Londoners had an off night, but Harry Redknapp still has far less to worry about that his Spanish counterpart.