Marc Kidson shows you how to make the perfect aphrodisiac dessert for your Valentine.
Chilli Chocolate Mousse, makes 4 servings
200g dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids)
150ml double cream
Half a red chilli
4tsp caster sugar
A few squares of white chocolate
1. In a bain-marie (heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, or equivalent) melt broken dark chocolate gently, without stirring.
2. Put the double cream in a pan and add the roughly chopped chilli to infuse, bring to the boil slowly before removing.
3. Meanwhile, separate the egg whites from the egg yolks, setting aside the yolks and adding the whites to a large mixing bowl.
4. Beat the egg whites until they are beginning to turn fluffly, then add the caster sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
5. Strain the cream into a bowl to remove pieces of chilli, then add the melted chocolate and stir until combined.
6. Add a spoonful of the egg whites to the chocolate-cream mixture to lighten it, stir in well.
7. Add the chocolate-cream to the egg whites in batches, folding (not stirring) it in with a metal spoon, continue until it is all combined.
8. Dish up into ramekins, coffee cups or a single bowl (depending on preference) and chill for an hour minimum.
9. Before serving garnish with grated white chocolate.