‘Cover-up’ Cardinal to visit Oxford

The Oxford University Newman Society has invited the Cardinal Sean Brady, the Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland, to a series of three events on 12 May.

The Newman Society supports the faith and life of the Catholic Church in Oxford University.

Cardinal Brady is currently facing allegations that he participated in the cover-up of child sex abuse within the Catholic Church. He has refused to resign from his position.
The charges against Cardinal Brady include the allegation that he assisted in concealing complaints of paedophilia made against Brendan Smyth, an Irish priest.

According to news reports, Brady has “confirmed that he attended a secret Church hearing in 1975” which required two of Smyth’s child victims, an altar boy and a teenage girl, to sign an oath stating that they would not discuss the abuse that they had received at Smyth’s hands with anyone other than an approved priest.

The hearings were allegedly held at the Dominican friary in Dundalk, County Louth, and at the Holy Trinity Abbey in County Cavan.

According to reports, Brady acted as recorder of evidence on behalf of the current bishop and questioned witnesses. The issue was then kept behind church doors.

In 1997, a woman came forward in a High Court case stating that Smyth had abused her as well, and in December of last year, Judge Eamon de Valera allowed the woman to amend her statement, in which she asserted that she had suffered assault, battery, and bodily trespass.

She named Brady as one of three defendants in the case. Smyth was jailed in the Republic of Ireland on the grounds of molesting 20 children. He died in prison in August after a heart attack.

Brady himself now faces legal challenges due to the court case, which began thirteen years ago. He is being sued both in his individual capacity as a priest who took part in the secret tribunal, and as the Primate, the position which he currently holds.

In spite of these legal proceedings, he has refused to resign his post.

The Newman Society has invited the Cardinal to a number of events including their termly Thomas More Lecture. Brady will deliver a lecture on the topic of “The Challenges Facing the Church in Ireland in the Twenty-First Century”. He will also hold a Solemn Pontifical Mass in Trinity College Chapel, and attend a black tie dinner in his honour at St Benet’s Hall.

According to the society’s website, “Cardinal Brady’s lecture takes place in the wake of the Holy Father’s recent letter to the Catholics of Ireland on the issue of sexual abuse of children. The Cardinal will use his speech as an opportunity to respond to the issues raised by the Holy Father and to reflect on how the church can move forward”.

Although some students expressed concerns at the invitation, others welcomed it as “a sign of openness and co-operation”.

The Newman Society declined to comment.