Throw Ken overboard, before it’s too late

Ken Livingstone’s always been a maverick, and isn’t exactly known for doing what he’s told. This week he has overstepped the mark. The election for Mayor of Tower Hamlets has been marred in controversy, with the Labour candidate initially selected being removed by the NEC after allegations of extremism. The NEC, fearful of ousting a Muslim and replacing him with the white man who came second, put the third place candidate up instead. Lutfur Rahman, the displaced candidate, has just beaten his replacement and won his election as Mayor of Tower Hamlets.

So what does this have to do with Ken? Well despite Labour Party rules forbidding any party member campaigning against a party candidate, he spent the entire run up to the election campaigning for Rahman. Eleven Labour Party members, including eight councillors, have been thrown out of the Party for this offence. Ken, however, seems immune. There has been no official comment from Labour, and Ed Miliband has remained completely silent.

What is perhaps most worrying, is that regardless of whether the allegations submitted against Rahman were true, his views are certainly not ones the Labour Party, or any party, should be endorsing. Rahman’s activists heckled women on their way to the polls for their ‘immodest dress’, no doubt scaring many away from voting. Rahman himself has been noted as attending a “Spot the Fag” game at a local mosque.

I would expect any candidate, for any party, who endorses such behaviour to be removed from that party. As in Rahman’s case, they may go on to be elected, and it is right that we should respect democracy where it speaks, but that does not mean our national political parties should allow such views to simmer within their ranks. Similarly, party members who not only defy the Constitution of the party they purport to represent, but tie themselves to a campaign so murky as this, should too be expelled.

Ken Livingstone cannot enjoy the luxury of Labour’s campaign funds whilst opposing and embarrassing the Party in public. He must either integrate himself into what Labour is now and commit to that mission, or leave. In this case, Ed Miliband should summon up some courage and ensure he’s pushed.