From the player’s mouth

JCR Women’s Football Fourth Division

New Women 16

Somerville Women’s II 0

Last Sunday saw the first appearance of the season for the much-heralded Somerville Women’s 2nd XI football team. As the only ladies second team to grace the football league they had high hopes following their intensive pre-season tour at the new Park End site  and its surrounding alleyways. Unfortunately, these hopes were dashed even before the first whistle was blown; as players and fans alike received the devastating news that the team’s star striker had been withdrawn due to a recent groin strain.

Let us return to the plush pastures of the New College Sports grounds as the scene went from bad to worse against New College 1st XI, revealing what can only be described as a blatant breach of Fourth Division regulations: an aesthetically pleasing hunk of a referee. The extensive training program of the Somerville ladies had not prepared for this sort of vindictive game plan and the bewildered stars were left shocked and distracted. Unfairly disadvantaged, five goals slid past the normally solid Somerville back four within the first three minutes of play.

Any optimism that the brave ladies had managed to hold on to ebbed away early in the first half when the team’s only player to have previously witnessed a football game (Lucy Dubberley) caught the elbow of New College’s Vinnie Jones and was forced to go off with a suspected broken nose. Despite the unconcealed nature of the sadistic offence, the referee resolutely refused to award a free kick. From this point onwards the game was tainted by referee bias, culminating in his indifference when faced with what one onlooker described as ‘the most blatant penalty I think I’ve ever seen in second-tier ladies’ college football.’

Somerville continued to battle hard in the second-half, entering New College’s half on at least one occasion. The final score-line of 0-16 certainly does not do justice to the fitness and skill of the Somerville ladies 2nd XI.

Rachel Boakes

JCR Football Premier Division

Wadham 2

St Catz 4

Wadham were back in action this week looking to build on a solid performance from the 1-1 draw at Christchurch. St Catz were searching for their first league points after humbling defeats to a blues strengthened Worcester and more surprisingly to a weak Christchurch. Wadham went one up in the first minute thanks to a mercurial strike from skipper Mike ‘Lego’ Edwards. Wadham pressed hard for the first 30 minutes and were rewarded when Tim Poole carefully placed his 20 yard strike onto the St Catz defender’s heel to skilfully wrong-foot the keeper. Catz clawed one back before the break as Chris Lyle scythed down the St Catz winger for a stonewall penalty, Carl Assmundson stepped up to score but not before John ‘Cowboy’ Jenkins got a firm hand to it. Lyle was rewarded for his hard work with a taxi to A&E after some deft knifework from the St Catz striker, although it might have looked more like a painful head collision to the untrained eye. This was the second time Chris has needed stitches in his forehead in three appearances. St Catz turned up after the break and seemed to actually be pretty good,with striker John Langton threatening. The equaliser came from a soft-free kick headed in by an unmarked Chris Rees. Wadham battled on and special mention goes to the centre-back fresher pairing of Josh Vivian and Anthony Ojukwu who put in some full-blooded tackles which were given, in my opinion wrongly, as fouls by referee John Lowe. Catz won the game thanks to a brace from Chris Lambert, and probably deservingly took home the three points.

Michael Edwards

JCR Football Football Premier Division

Christ Church 0

Teddy Hall 3

Teddy Hall earned an impressive victory at champions Christ Church, a win that gives them 6 points from an opening 9. The House might be the home of last year’s trophy, but this Christ Church team was much depleted from the side that so dramatically stole a league-clinching 92nd minute goal (incidentally against Teddy Hall) on the final day of the 2009/2010 season.

Teddy Hall began their season with high hopes of success in the league and cup, but were surprisingly (and comfortably) beaten on the opening day by an impressive Merton/Mansfield side. They have since impressively beaten Worcester and arrived at Christ Chuch sports ground hoping to continue their revival.

0-0 at half-time, the game was balanced and scrappy, neither college asserting themselves on a strangely hot, sapping October afternoon. Set-pieces were the difference; Teddy Hall scored three times from corners, directly or indirectly, surprising the champs with their ability and efficiency in the air. Goals on 60 minutes, 70 minutes, and 80 minutes sealed a comfortable finish for the elated visitors, as shocked as anyone at the ease with which they coasted the final half-hour. This was, without doubt, a significant result, one that suggests another wide-open year in the Premier Division.

Inevitably for such a successful side, the Blues have come calling for the stars of Christ Church’s show, and the club must now adapt to the loss of some key playmakers. ChCh and Teddy Hall are the top flight’s last two victors, and bouts between them are always heavyweight encounters. This one, though, was a deserved scalp for Teddy, an intrepid team who will cause some more upsets yet. To build a powerhouse in college sport is a great challenge: ask Worcester, a previous football dynasty who’ve just spent a season mired in the First Division. Graduations and injuries are hazardous in equal measure, and windows of real opportunity can slam shut in a matter of weeks. Teddy want to prise theirs open, where Christ Church must improve if they wish to extend their period in the sun.

Scott Mody