Imperial College sets fees at £9,000

Despite claims that the top level of fees would only be charged in “exceptional circumstances”, Aaron Porter, President of the National Union of Students, has warned that virtually all London universities will charge the highest rate of fees because they do not fear losing students.

Speaking to the London Evening Standard, Porter said, “Prices are set on things like perceived prestige and the desirability of location, so the demand for London universities will hold up well despite the increase in fees.”

He also stressed fears that higher fees might mean students at more costly universities will be more “middle class, privately educated”, while poorer students will be “driven out”.

Porter’s comments come in the wake of London’s Imperial College becoming the first university in England to formally announce that it wants to charge the maximum level of tuition fees.

Imperial plans to charge £9,000 for all of its subjects from 2012 onwards. The decision has been made to “maintain the excellence of the education we provide to students.”

Cambridge University is yet to complete its decision-making process but has already proposed fees of the full £9, 000, with the recommendation backed by its Council.

Cambridge’s independent review warned that charging less than the top rate would raise questions about the university’s commitment to quality.

Imperial College’s Rector, Keith O’Nions, commented, “Our message to the outside world is that for those who can manage Imperial’s courses, the college will work to ensure they can manage its costs.”

Porter said, “It wouldn’t surprise me if universities like London South Bank and the University of East London chose to put themselves in the same price category as Imperial College by virtue of where they are, even though they don’t have the same reputation or history.”

He added, “It’s right to say the reasons the market will not be a reflection of quality is because in London demand outstrips supply.”

David Barclay, OUSU President, said, “OUSU is fighting against the proposal to go straight to £9,000 because we think this University has the resources to make a stand against an unprecedented change in the system which has not, and will not, be explained to prospective applicants.

“At the same time we’re working to secure the most generous student support package in the country, which would include substantial fee waivers for students from the poorest backgrounds and a central bursary system which would allow all students to be able to live comfortably in Oxford without having to find a job during term.”

Oxford has yet to decide its policy on tuition fee increases, but many anticipate the same decision as Imperial College.

“There have been suggestions that if universities such as Cambridge and Imperial opt for the higher level of fees, it will make it harder for other leading universities, such as Oxford, to charge less.

One student at Ruskin College, and member of the Oxford University Labour Club, commented, “What’s happening is an overt marketisation of education. This is a suicidal move.”

Kevin Feeney, a student at Trinity College, was also against the proposals, arguing that “this reckless proposal would mortgage away students’ futures and I strongly condemn it.”

However Peter Hamilton, a current student at Imperial, commented that a place at the London college is still “100% worth it. Even with the new fees the degree is worth every penny.”