Kellogg comes of age

Kellogg College officially comes of age this month, celebrating the 21st anniversary of its founding.

Kellogg is Oxford\’s most international college, having more than 660 students from 73 countries. As well as being the largest graduate-only college, it is also the only college to take part-time graduates.

To mark the anniversary, the college held a special Foundation dinner for college members, as well as a Gaudy for old members with speaker Baroness Professor Susan Greenfield.

Professor Jonathan Michie, the President of Kellogg College, said, \”As a young college with mainly part-time graduate students, Kellogg is far from a typical Oxford college. Many people inside and outside Oxford may not even be aware of us, just as they may not be aware of the 15,000 students passing through the Department for Continuing Education every year who are admitted to Oxford in addition to its 20,000 full-time students.

\”Yet the college and its students represent an important part of Oxford. It is incredible to think that just 21 years ago, someone wanting to take a postgraduate degree while continuing with their careers or other responsibilities couldn\’t return – or come – to Oxford.

\”Kellogg has opened the scholarship of Oxford to audiences who could never otherwise have benefited. And it has allowed Oxford to fish in a bigger talent pool to get the best students, no longer limited to those able to quit their jobs and careers and return to being full-time residential students – and Oxford is the better for it.\”

Tes Noah Asfaw, studying for a Masters in Creative Writing, commented, \”Kellogg has been a huge benefit to me because of the intellectually stimulating centres it houses, the varied seminar series and the general feel that it\’s a place designed for mature students. Plus, I\’ve made loads of contacts – among the varied student body but also among the varied fellows.\”

Though only formally coming into being on March 1st 1990, Kellogg can trace its origins back to the university extension movement of the 1870s. The name Kellogg was taken on October 1st 1994 in recognition of the support given by the W K Kellogg Foundation to the University in the preceding decades. Prior to that it was known as Rewley House.

Students at Kellogg study a wide range of courses, the choice of which expanded last year and will do so again in October. The college has further enhanced its wider development, extending student accommodation in North Oxford.

The college hosts a number of research centres. The Oxford Centre for Mutual and Employee-Owned Business is currently advising the government on mutualising the Post Office.

Kellogg has comes of age at a time when part-time graduate education may be on the rise due to changes in government policy on tuition fees.