2011: An Alternative Look

When I was in secondary school, the few of us who were barely numerate were made, each year, to take the ‘maths challenge’.  In a bid to add levity to the experience, question one would usually involve the number of that year. In life as in maths challenge, I didn’t have high hopes for 2011. But in life as in maths challenge, I underestimated it a tad. 2011 seems like one of those awkward prime numbers. Actually, it’s a ‘sexy prime’. And the year 2011 has thrown up one or two juicy bits of its own.

January – A big cheer went up from South Sudan as people voted for a wiggly line across a map. This was followed by an even bigger cheer from international atlas-printing companies.

February – My birthday. Also an Egyptian dictator steps down after thirty years in power, but you have to prioritise these things. Charlie Sheen coins the word “bi-winning”. I still don’t know what it means.

March – Bad things going down in Japan and Libya so we try and forget about it by having a nice big Census. Love a good form.

April – Facebook polluted with fashionable cynics declaring their refusal to watch the Royal Wedding, then ‘Liking’ sixty pages related to Pippa Middleton.

May – bin Laden settles down to enjoy the May Bank holiday. He should have taken out a privacy injunction, but was told by Ryan Giggs that they’re a bit shite.

June – There’s some stuff going on with these Greek guys trying to borrow a few quid.

July – Harry Potter film franchise ends, adding to already horrific youth unemployment figures. Amy Winehouse decides on the ‘go while you’re young and on a high’ option – probably in both senses. I finally stop receiving creepy answerphone messages from Rupert Murdoch.

August – It took about six years, but Kaiser Chiefs’ prediction came true. Five-year-olds singing ‘London’s Burning’ are not told to shut up by their parents. Accessorize plundered on a scale not seen since AD 865.

September – We are the 99%! And have been for far too long! Like the effing battery charge indicator on my laptop.

October – Steve Jobs and Muammar Gaddafi depart from this world, leaving people to debate their favourite former All-Powerful Overlord Of An Empire That Produces Valuable Commodities. The Other Place replaces their university chancellor, HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, with the guy who runs Sainsbury’s. Tabs: always plumping for the discount option.

November – A sprinkling of Real Life in Oxford, as public-sector strikers make it awkward to swagger down Broad Street like a boss. Jeremy Clarkson offends everyone again – a talent he has been nurturing since birth. The EU begins its annual discussion relating to cod. Teenage boys begin their annual procrastination relating to COD.

December David Cameron decides to be the ‘indie kid’ of European leaders. The Iraq War (what’s that?) officially ends. Madame Tussaud’s pricks its ears as Kim Jong-Il dies.

Thus on to 2012. It promises… well promise. And its share of fun, fees and the bland.  In the meantime, keep calm and carry on – old posters can’t go wrong.