Ruled or Fooled Britannia? – Part Two

While some players have struggled badly to adapt to the sheer pace and physicality of the English game, others have simply failed to live up to the grand reputations that preceded them in the past fuelled, in somc cases, by the hefty transfer fees paid for them by English clubs.

Afonso Alves

Club: Middlesbrough (2008–2009)

After 45 goals in 40 appearances for Heerenveen in the Dutch Eredivisie, including seven in one game, and beating Marco van Basten’s national record in the process, the striker moved to the Riverside Stadium for a club-record fee believed to be in the region of £12,700,000. He was seen as the ideal solution to solve the struggling Teesiders goalscoring problems. But the Belo Horizonte-born man was never able to recapture his previous scintillating form as he found it difficult to adapt to the physicality of the Barclays Premier League. In two seasons, where he was mainly confined to the bench, he managed just 13 goals and was part of the team that was relegated to the Npower Championship in 2009.

Finest Moment: A rare double strike against Manchester United in the Barclays Premier League (6th April 2008)

Where is he now? Al-Rayyan Sports Club

Club: Manchester City (2008–2011)

Like Alves, the tall striker enjoyed a marvellous spell in European football in Russia with CSKA Moscow where his goals-to-games ratio was better than a goal every game. He became the first marquee signing of City’s new Arab owners under Mark Hughes but was unable to cement a regular starting place in the side, featuring in just 6 games at the start of the 2008–2009 season. His future at the club was cast into further doubt by the arrival of new manager Roberto Mancini and fellow strikers Edin Džeko and Mario Balotelli. Although the striker’s form picked up during loan spells with Everton and Galatasaray, the São Paulo-born man was unable to crack the English game. 

Finest Moment: An excellent performance in Manchester City’s emphatic 4-1 away win against Fulham in the Barclays Premier League (21st November 2010)

Where is he now? Internacional

Roque Júnior

Club: Leeds United (2003–2004)

Hailed by the then manager Peter Reid as a man who would bring “strength and depth in quality”, that despite never seeing the slight defender in competitive action, the 2002 FIFA World Cup and 2003 Champions League-winning player never lived up to the high expectations which greeted his arrival at Elland Road. His home debut ended in disaster as he was sent off against Birmingham City and it quickly became apparent that he was unable to adapt to the pace and physicality of Premiership football. He was guilty of numerous lapses in concentration and in his 7 games at the heart of the Leeds United defence, The Whites shipped in a staggering 24 goals. 

Finest Moment: A double brace in a 3-2 home defeat to Manchester United in the Third Round of the Worthington Cup (28th October 2003) 

Where is he now? Retired

Kléberson

Club: Manchester United (2003–2005) 

Hailed by the then Brazilian National Team Head Coach Luiz Felipe Scolari as the driving force behind A Seleção’s 2002 FIFA World Cup victory, the central-midfielder arrived at Old Trafford at the same time as Cristiano Ronaldo. While the Portuguese international blossomed, Kléberson’s United career never took off. The dislocation of his shoulder in only his second appearance for the club put a brake on his progress under Sir Alex Ferguson. When he did appear, he was often played out of position, be it on the right wing or as an attacking midfielder. Ultimately, the now 32-year-old was unable to match the standards set by Roy Keane and after two seasons he signed for BeÅŸiktaÅŸ.

Finest Moment: A commanding performance in midfield during Manchester United’s 4-0 home win over Aston Villa in the Premier League (6th December 2003)

Where is he now? Flamengo CF

Robinho

Club: Manchester City (2008–2010)

On his day, the striker-come-winger boasted a ruthless attacking edge and was worth every penny of the £32,5000,000 that City splashed out on the former Real Madrid player on the last day of the 2008 Summer Transfer Window. He ended his first season in England as City’s top scorer with 14 goals, finishing the 4th top scorer in the Barclays Premier League. But the São Vicente-born man was never able to produce consistent performances, sighting his failure to adapt to the physical nature of the English game and inability to settle into life in Manchester. The arrival of Roberto Mancini following the sacking of Mark Hughes and his questionable attitude saw the Brazilian international fall further down the pecking order at City. 

Finest Moment: A sublime hat-trick against Stoke City in the Barclays Premier League (26th October 2008) 

Where is he now? AC Milan

Twitter: @aleksklosok