Fashion’s Guide to Sportswear

Remember those hideous uniforms and wellies that the Czech Republic team donned during the Opening Ceremony of the Summer Olympics? You know, the ones that made them look like they were moonlighting as flight attendants that mistakenly wandered onto the set of Singin’ In the Rain? Yes, of course you do, you were watching, and judging, and most likely cringing right along with me. The parade of muscles, spandex, and gold lamé (really, Stella?) was one of many events this summer that illuminated the deeply rooted relationship between sport and fashion.

Although most Oxford students aren’t Olympians, there are definitely ways that we can all incorporate a bit of style into our sportswear. 

Boxing

It’s one of my favorite things to do, and therefore under the guise of going in an alphabetical order, it’s the first sport on the list. Boxing is one of the best sports to incorporate style into, in the ring and in your gear. Let’s start with the basics: bright colors and lots of them! Ever needed the excuse to wear that neon green shirt you have? Here’s your chance: boxers wearing bright, noticeable colors have been scientifically proven to be more likely win matches (and style points, in my book at least). Pairing bright, attention grabbing colors and neutrals like black or white will give you the perfect combination of personality and functionality, and boost your mood and performance along the way.

Next step: hand wraps. Although your trainer or sparring partner will most likely never see this part of your kit, (as your wraps will be hidden well inside your boxing gloves) they are the closest thing to accessories in boxing. Varying in length and design, wraps also come in a myriad of colors that can be selected to highlight the colors of your gear. Don’t be afraid to match the colors of the wraps with that neon green shirt, or the blue lining of your shoes. This might sound silly now, but when you look in the mirror right before your workout and see those matching elements, you’ll feel as if you’re in a Nike ad right up there with Muhammad Ali.

Cycling

Watching the Tour de France is mandatory in my family. For 23 days in the month of July, everyone in my family knows not to touch the remote control, record anything that might clog up the DVR, or tell my dad who won one of the stages. I have seen more sweaty, spandex-clad men fighting to wear polka dots, rainbow (worn by the world champion) and yellow than a gay man in San Francisco. Needless to say, I have many suggestions regarding sportswear worn by cyclists.

First of all, keep the bike shorts. Yes, they leave nothing to the imagination (especially the white ones), yes, they are tight and make your butt look a little weird, but, boy, do they make you look like a superhero. The jerseys though, are another story. Stick to solid colors, and unless you are Lance Armstrong or Bradley Wiggins, don’t wear the yellow Tour de France jersey stamped with sponsors you don’t have and carrying a legacy you haven’t earned. Never ever tuck your jersey into your shorts. Always wear a helmet. And finally, never wear arm warmers with a sleeveless jersey. Seriously, where does one even buy an ‘arm warmer’?!

Riding

Just go with Ralph Lauren. If you can afford to own, board, and feed a horse, surely you can afford those really nice leader riding boots and polos that Ralph Lauren has to offer. Hermes was founded as a company catering to equestrians, so you can splurge on that Hermes saddle, and those bits and polo wraps. Maybe this is the little girl in me, but braiding the horse’s mane also seems like a good idea.

Running

Investing in a great pair of compression pants or shorts will not only allow you to show off those toned legs, but also increase your performance and prevent injuries. Shoes are also an integral part of running gear, and any track star will tell you that the best way to incorporate personal style into a uniform is through wearing bright, colorful shoes. Look into shoes that are not only attention grabbing, but also those that can help you track and quantify your workout. Nike+ gear has sensors in their running shoes that connect wirelessly to your phone and provide performance feedback. This will pretty much replace your workout buddy or trainer, as Nike+ technology will track how fast, hard, and how long you run while motivating you along the way. Sportswear is also one of the best places to incorporate the neon trend into. Wearing a neon shirt or running jacket will add some style and also allow added visibility at night. Running allows great flexibility in your choice of gear and clothing. Since all you need is a good pair of shoes, everything else is up to you!

Rugby

It’s the quintessential British sport, and from my (American) perspective, one with the highest proportion of attractive men. If you play rugby, some stereotypes are automatically imprinted on you, and I say, take advantage of the ones relating to fashion. The iconic rugby jersey, with the distinctive collar and striped design, has become a fashion item in its own right. Wear the shirt, but please refrain from popping the collar.

Rowing

It’s early, you are tired, and you have practice in 30 minutes. Don’t worry too much about what to wear, just keep warm and do whatever it takes to get ready for this socially acceptable form of masochism some call a sport.

Tennis

While the typical all-white tennis outfits can be a bit of a bore, the real problem with tennis is the fact that you can never keep track of your balls. I have the perfect solution: Penn offers tennis balls in all colors and designs, ranging from baby pink (if that’s your thing) to blue and black. If your tennis skills are as great as mine (around the skill level of a 4 year old), then all the players around you will take notice, since your bright tennis balls will be flying all over their courts. It terms of sportswear, here’s where Stella McCartney redeems herself. Stella’s line of sportswear for Adidas features numerous lingerie-inspired tennis dresses and separates that perfectly combine function and style. 

Yoga

As someone who’s not a big fan of yoga, because it’s really, really boring, I am no expert on real yoga style. However, I have attended an American high school, and have often seen (and worn) yoga clothes in class. Yoga pants are comfortable, more-or-less flattering, and very functional, and they can transition easily from working out to going to Starbucks and grabbing a coffee.

With the opening of the first Victoria’s Secret store in London this summer, I say, go for it! Jump on the bandwagon and get a pair of VS PINK yoga pants or (my personal favorite) yoga crop leggings. Stick to clean lines, and avoid wearing loud prints and colors, as they will be distracting to you and those around you as they try to ‘centre’ themselves. And here’s my last tip (which comes from personal experience): avoid wearing loose fitting tops while doing yoga, because in the middle of doing the Downward Facing Dog pose, the shirt will slip off and leave you in only a sports bra.

Now, perhaps my suggestions won’t elevate you to the performance level of Olympic athletes, but I’m sure they will score you some style points!

(Special thanks to Rachel Imhoff for insight and editing)