Zoom in on….club photography

Chris Russell-Gray works for Shuffle Nights and Wahoo nightclub in Oxford as well as private shoots and event photography, including fashion, wedding and family portraits. 

What made you take up photography?

Well, it was actually my friends. I went to a lot of car meets and started taking photos with a compact camera, but then a few of my mates said that I was good at it and even came up with a name, ‘CRG-Photography’. Then I just had to work on getting my name out there. I saw a photography job going at a Lava & Ignite, which I took up with a company called Picture-Pal, and they hired me directly after seeing my photos. Four years down the line, I’m now working for Shuffle nights and Wahoo nightclub

Do you enjoy your job?
Very much so. Not only do I get to party for free, but I meet some lovely people and have made many friends over the years. It has also led to further jobs with students wanting photographers for charitable events and house parties.
Any funny moments in your club photography career?
Millions! Often guys and girls turn around after having a photo taken and say “Please delete that, I have a partner back home!” which makes me laugh. If I didn’t delete it, they’d claim they were drunk but I know that they were aware of what they were doing at the time, as well as the possible consequences! I also regularly see people falling over or being sick, and one of my photos has even appeared on the Facebook page ‘Embarrassing Nightclub Photos’.
Are you inspired by any photographers?
Not especially. That may sound bad, but I’m more likely to become inspired by the photos than by a particular photographer. In a way it’s the same with music. No one will like every song by an artist or group and I suppose I apply the same logic to photographers.
What do you like most about photography?
My favourite aspect is giving people confidence – I like to try to break people’s safety level and push them a little. For instance, I recently did an implied nude shoot with a person and Skittles! She thought that she was vile-looking, but afterwards she had a huge smile on her face and was really proud of herself. I feel a gre

Do you enjoy your job?

Are you inspired by any photographers?

especially. That may sound bad, but I’m more likely to become inspired by the photos than by a particular photographer. In a way it’s the same with music. No one will like every song by an artist or group and I suppose I apply the same logic to photographers.What do you like most about photography?My favourite aspect is giving people confidence – I like to try to break people’s safety level and push them a little. For instance, I recently did an implied nude shoot with a person and Skittles! She thought that she was vile-looking, but afterwards she had a huge smile on her face and was really proud of herself. I feel a great sense of achievement when that happens.

Does the darkness of clubs ever make it difficult to get a good shot?

At the start, the technical side of things was a little frustrating. I began by following other photographers who use a fast shutter speed with a high ISO rating. This gave me good photos but there was no energy in them, so I decided to opt for a low ISO with a slow shutter speed, which gives me clear pictures, but allows the photo to show the movement of light. If people are dancing it makes them a bit blurry around the edges too, which I feel adds dynamic to the overall finish.

What are your goals for the future?

I would like to branch out of Oxford, as well as eventually expanding in the nightclub scene. I hope to provide loads more people with great photos for memories of their partying days (and to show off on Facebook!). But I do love what I’m doing now: holding photo shoots and always just trying to create a great picture.