Bishop of Oxford praises new Archbishop of Canterbury

The Bishop of Oxford, the Rt. Rev. John Pritchard has publicly welcomed the appointment of the Rt. Rev. Justin Welby, a former student of his and currently Bishop of Durham, to the Archbishopric of Canterbury.

Bishop Justin himself described the news as “exciting and astonishing”. He joked, “my initial reaction was ‘oh no’.”

Bishop John commented, “The Bishop of Durham is an excellent choice as the next Archbishop of Canterbury. I have known him since he was a student at theological college and it was obvious then that he had qualities of mind and heart that would fit him for higher office.

“His experience in the city, in reconciliation in Africa, and in demanding roles in Coventry, Liverpool and Durham make him very well equipped for this new role. At the same time, this is a massive responsibility and Bishop Justin can be assured of our prayers and practical support as he makes the momentous journey south.”

Bishop Justin worked for eleven years as an oil executive. In 1987, in his mid-thirties, he began a degree in theology at Cranmer Hall in Durham, where Bishop John was then employed as warden.

The news has been welcomed by others in Oxford. The Revd. Dr. Simon Jones, chaplain of Merton College, said, “Bishop Justin will bring a wealth of valuable experience, both inside and outside the Church, to his new ministry.

“His own spirituality seems to have been formed by a number of Christian traditions. This makes him well placed to be a focus for unity within the Church of England and the wider Anglican Communion.

“He will be Visitor of Merton, as well as several other Colleges, and we very much hope that he will be part of our 750th anniversary celebrations in 2014.”

Bishop Justin has worked extensively in the field in both the Middle East and Africa, especially Kenya, the Democratic Republic of Congo and Nigeria. In the Niger Delta he has worked on reconciliation between armed groups.

In Baghdad he reopened St. George’s, the only Anglican church in Iraq, shortly after the end of the allied invasion. He has lectured at the US state department, on the basis of his expertise in the politics and history of Nigeria and Kenya.