The Top 12 – 3rd Week

1. OxHoli

@Merton Mansfield Grounds, 2pm Sunday 5th

It’s here again! HUMSoc invites you, your white T-shirt and your waterbottle to be splattered with colour — who can resist such an offer? 

2. Nightshift Punt

@Various Venues, Tuesday 7thth

Oxford’s premier ‘new music’ festival spreads itself across venues as varied as PT, Wheatsheaf or The Duke’s Cut. We’ve never heard of half the bands, but that makes it more exciting! If you are a fan of bands such as Listing Ships, The Goggenheim or The Graceful Slicks, you clearly know more about music than we do. Come down and discover your new favourite band. 

3. Star Trek Into Darkness

@Various Cinemas, from Thursday 9th

It’s Star Trek. It’s Benedict Cumberbatch. It’s going to be brilliant. You may want to book in advance, because if the Star Trek and Sherlock fandoms both show up, there’ll be a fight for seats! 

4. John Grant

@O2 Academy, 7pm Wednesday 8th

John Grant’s career has gone from strength to strength since he left his band, The Czars. His latest album, Pale Green Ghosts, was a huge critical success — it’ll be interesting to hear how he translates his lush balladry from studio to stage. 

5. Oxford Revue and Friends

@Oxford Playhouse, 7:30pm Saturday 4th

Okay, so we’re more excited about the friends than the Revue (hurrah, it’s the Footlights!) but we’re sure it’ll be worth the extortionate ticket price. With the addition of the Durham Revue (eugh, Doxbridge), this promises to be the sketch show to end all sketch shows! 

6. The Trial

@BT Studio, 7:30pm Tuesday 7th

Hypnotist Theatre bring their own absurdist, physical theatre version of Kafka’s classic examination of power and innocence. Sounds pretty wanky profound — they claim that the audience is as guilty as the protagonist. We’ll see. 

7. Reduced Shakespeare Company

@Oxford Playhouse, 8pm Friday 3rd

Every Shakespeare play condensed into a speedy 97 minutes is an unmissable prospect. Good for mugging up on the finer points of English literature without having to put in any effort.

8. Adair Turner – Has Capitalism Failed the World?

@Oxford Union, Friday 3rd

Watch Mehdi Hasan grill the former head of the FSA about the the future of capitalism. Expect sparks to fly!

9. Midnight at the Rue Morgue

@BT Studio, 9:30pm Wednesday 8th

Do you want to be immersed in the works of Edgar Allan Poe? If you do, there are clearly some issues we need to talk about, but for all you proto-gothic types, this piece of immersive theatre should do the trick.

10. OMD

@New Theatre, 7pm Monday 6th

Is your life empty without ’80s synth-pop? Do you yearn for the days in which ‘Enola Gay’ pumped from every speaker? Well, here’s Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, ready to fulfil all your synthiest needs. 

11. The Lesson

@BT Studio, 7:30pm Saturday 4th

Eugene Ionesco’s absurdist drama involves cross-dressing, a sinister professor and a lesson like no other. If nothing else, this production promises to be extremely strange. It could well be worth a look, unless it degenerates into abject insanity.

12. St Anne’s International Day

@St Anne’s College, 5:30pm Sunday 5th

Sample the best of international culture, from Chinese violins to Korean drumming or Brazilian dance.