Cherwell Workouts: Tennis

When I saw what I was expected to do as part of the Tennis Weekly Workout I practically fainted. It shouldn’t really have been a surprise; anyone who
watches the sport will have been well aware of the frankly terrifying level of fitness shown by the likes of Andy Murray (anyone remember him throwing up on-court?) but itseems our Blues aren’t miles behind, at least in terms of fitness regimes.

As a starting point, the suggested run around University Parks soundedan alright way to spend an evening.So I tied up the jogging shoesand quite enjoyed a leisurely threelaps of the loop that I could find –you see, I’ve a habit of getting lostin Uni Parks. Whether it was exactlythe right loop, or at the right speed,is another question, but it was a nicenight so I could see the attraction of using it as an excuse to get my heart working!

The following morning I startedto try and simulate the circuits plan
set out in the training regime. Again,facilities were perhaps not the best,
but my room has a good carpet, sosit-ups, press-ups, squats, and lunges
were all fine. Unfortunately I don’town a pull-up bar, so given I’m not
allowed the key to the college gym– think I was hungover for the induction – I didn’t bother with thatparticular exercise, and moved on togetting some incredibly funny looksas I did ‘step-ups’, at the bottom ofmy staircase. At least I hope that what I was doing was what the tennis players meant by step-ups.

Next I somehow found the timeto actually get a game of tennisin. I mean, by now, juggling evena truncated version of this workout,coursework, and all mannerof classes and meetings was beginningto mess with my head slightly,
but in reality having ‘a bit of a hit’was a nice break in the day. I’m afairly experienced if not necessarily good player, and not having to thinkparticularly hard in the few sets Isneaked into my hours was pleasant.

The whole workout was supposed to involve a week’s worth of 40k cycles,
swimming, several weights sessions,and, as I’ve mentioned, a strict
diet plan. Of course, that didn’tquite happen for me. But what was clear is how seriously this lot take fitness. I suppose tennis is a sportthat demands an all-round level offitness not seen in most other activities;you need that ultra-fit cardiovascularsystem, but not at the expense of a quick tactical brain and a explosive power. In that sense, the crazy, faint-inducing workoutthey do has many benefits, and will hopefully prepare them very well for the next Varsity match.

FLEXIBILITY – 7/10 – The stretching was intense and thorough.

CARDIO-VASCULAR – 9/10 – Highly demanding to maintain intensity in a long match.

MUSCULAR – 7/10 – The sheer number of exercises left my whole body aching.