Review: Blissfields Festival

★★★★☆
Four Stars

It might be a truism, but sometimes we need reminding that there’s more to the British festival season than the Big G. Take Blissfields; with a capacity of 3500 it’s literally a hundred times smaller than Glasto. A moderately stellar line-up featuring Mystery Jets, Bastille, Fenech Soler, Theme Park and The Staves might initially appear to venture into dubious Radio 1 territory. However, this shouldn’t detract from the fact that as far as British festivals go, Blissfields is the real McCoy, the cat’s pyjamas, the bee’s knees — take your pick.

It all took place on a blisteringly sun-drenched Winchester farm from the 5th to the 7th of July. The weekend’s highlight was London synth-dance four-piece Post War Years, although a clash with Mystery Jets meant their set in the Bradley Bubble on Friday was unfortunately sparse in spectators.

In a very different vein, other than headliners Bastille’s crowd-pleasing set culminating in a riot of drum-thumping and fireworks on the main stage, Saturday presented some strong folky offerings. The ‘Hard Acoustic Café’, replete with armchairs and woollen blankets, showcased a soul-purifying set from L.A. Salami (so chilled some of the audience were comatose), rousing South London ska-gypsy folk group Gorgeous George, and a typically hilarious and irreverent set from Beans on Toast. Part Billy Bragg, part Frank Turner and part Del Boy, Beans on Toast reeled out versions of songs about hating war, loving MDMA and being rejected from (but subsequently booked by) Glastonbury.

DJ sets in the Bradley Bubble from Bondax, the Artful Dodger and The D.O.T kept the atmosphere buzzing into the early hours across the weekend. It must be said, the much hyped Blisscoteque (it’s like, a disco-on-a-bus?!) complete with disco ball didn’t really live up to expectations, not helped by a downwards slope to the dancefloor and the fact that security didn’t take kindly to attempts to board the bus. 

While most catch-all festivals aim to market themselves as ‘family friendly’ Blissfields did indeed attract most age demographics. Half-naked, hyperactive and unsteady on their feet, swarms of prepubescent teenagers happily rubbed shoulders with a sizeable cohort of infants and the grey-haired; the festival even held its first marriage ceremony on Saturday.

Blissfields might be too small, too cutesy and too gentle for some, but one really shouldn’t underestimate the value of ambling from the main stage to one’s tent in under two minutes, nor dismiss the importance of the portaloo queues never exceeding ten minutes. (And the press tent had free beer.)

Super Earlybird tickets for Blissfields 2014 are available here.