Covered Market extension proposed

The Executive Board of Oxford City Council is considering a set of proposals to substantially revamp the city’s historic Covered Market. The proposals, included in a ninety-page report compiled by consultancy firm The Retail Group, include the installation of rooftop eateries, a major renovation of the Market Street side of the Market, and a thirty-two percent expansion of retail space through the construction of first-floor shop and restaurant facilities, all at a potential cost of £4 million.

The Council, which owns the Covered Market, commissioned the report in the hopes of finding ways to attract more customers to the site, where foot traffic and sales have fallen noticeably over the course of the last decade. Colin Cook, a Labour councillor in charge of City Development on the city’s Executive Board, wrote in the Oxford Mail that the Council “want[s] to make the place sustainable, vibrant and profitable into the long term, both for the traders and for the city council.”

In formulating its plans, The Retail Group took inspiration from successful “destination” markets like Brixton’s Village Market. One area of opportunity they highlight is improving the Market’s prepared food and beverage offering. “If you look at other successful markets, they all have restaurants and cafés playing an anchor role,” Paul Frater, the director of the The Retail Group, told Cherwll. “The food in the Covered Market is lagging 20 years behind.”

“Where you do have high-quality food that targets the student market, for example Alpha Bar, sales are very high,” Frater said, in reference to the Market’s popular salad bar. “That shows me that when it comes to food, the Market is punching under its weight.”

The firm sees another opportunity in the revitalisation of the Market Street entrance of the site, which it says currently “appears to be the service and delivery area” for the Market. The consultants propose that a new façade might be built along the Market Street entrance, and that the street might be pedestrianised between the hours of 10 AM and 4 PM.

Reactions from the Market’s traders to the proposals have been mixed. While most said they were pleased that the Council was looking at ways to increase business, many appeared sceptical that the plans would actually be implemented.

“It’s not gonna happen” said a long-serving sales assistant at Nothing, a shop selling jumpers and jewellery. “How long have they been talking about redoing the Westgate centre? Probably since before you were born! We’d be delighted if it happened, of course, but I just don’t think it will.”

At Cardew’s Coffee and Tea, sales assistant Flynn Faudot-Boston also expressed doubt. “It would be great to get more customers coming through, but I can’t see the Council forking out £4 million. Where are they going to find that kind of money?” he wondered, before adding: “They probably get enough from parking tickets, actually.”

Nigel Ramsay, a local resident and regular customer at the Market who was buying tea at Cardew’s, advised caution. “I fear this may be another example of the City Council’s nasty habit of putting short-term concerns over income ahead of the long-term interests of residents.” he said. “If these plans will mean more fly-by-night, here-one-day-gone-the-next clothing shops in the Market, I’d rather they weren’t implemented.” Sarah Browne, a florist at The Garden, said she feared that a major renovation, paired with rent increases, might threaten the Market’s independent spirit. “If you make the Market newer and glossier, I worry that only a glossier, more high-rent type of shop will be able to move in here. The rents are already too high as it is. I don’t want to see chains moving in.”

Daniel Greenwood, a third-year biochemist at Magdalen who often shops at the Covered Market, also emphasised the importance of maintaining the Market’s atmosphere. “Oxford is very lucky to have such a unique market,” he said. “It is great to hear that the council are putting serious thoughts into its future, though it is essential that any expansion plans favour the kinds of quirky independent businesses that make the place so special.”

The Council are presently seeking public comments on the proposals. A consultation page on the Council’s website will be open for input from the public until 29 November. Councillor Cook invited Oxford students specifically to give their views on the Market’s future, telling Cherwell, “any input from students would be very welcome.”