OUSU hosts free HIV testings

OUSU and the LGBTQ Campaign are holding free Sexual Health and HIV testing sessions this week as part of National HIV testing week. 

On Wednesday and Thursday of 7th week OUSU and the LGBTQ campaign are providing free HIV tests for Oxford students to mark National HIV testing week and World Aids Day. The test is a simple finger prick test that takes a small blood sample, with the result obtainable on site.

The testings are the result of a joint effort between OUSU and the LGBTQ campaign to raise student awareness of HIV and sexual health. Early detection and raised awareness are considered the best means of combating sexually transmitted diseases. Though the focus is on HIV, there will also be chlamydia testing, general information and counselling available at the sessions for a more holistic approach to sexual health.

Charlotte Hendy, OUSU’s Vice-President for Welfare & Equal Opportunities, said, “It is estimated that over 22,000 people in the UK are believed to be living with HIV and are currently undiagnosed. Research suggests that early diagnosis gives you an 11 times greater chance of survival in the following year. These statistics are shocking.”

She added, “By hosting these sessions, which are open to everyone, we hope to encourage students to get regularly tested and take care of their sexual health.”

HIV is seen to pose a special risk to the LGBTQ community. Ashley Francis-Roy, President of the Oxford University LGBTQ Society, commented, “48 per cent of all new HIV diagnoses in 2011 were among men who have sex with men and so it’s particularly important that these members of the LGBTQ community get tested regularly. 20 per cent of those living with HIV at the end of 2011 were undiagnosed, not on treatment, and therefore potentially infectious.

“8 in 10 gay men get HIV from a man who doesn’t know he has it, so we think getting tested really is worth it. The treatment for HIV is now extremely sophisticated and simply being aware of your status can help reduce transmission. That’s why the OU LGBTQ Society thinks these tests – organised by OUSU – are extremely important.

“Those living with HIV ought not to be disadvantaged because of it, and so World Aids Day also seeks to raise awareness for those living with, or affected by HIV.”

OUSU aims to boost attendance with the promise of free sweets and freebies. Glen Gowers, University College’s Male Welfare Representative, was optimistic about the project. He said, “Considering it is free and they will be giving out free food they have hit the nail on the head in terms of attracting students. People consider these illnesses as things that they won’t get and so don’t even give it a second thought. Even if they don’t go to these testings the fact that they are being advertised should hopefully get people thinking about safe sex etc.”

The testings, administered by members of staff from the GUM clinic at the Churchill, take place on Wednesday, November 27 from 15:00-17:00, at Old Refectory and Moser Theatre, Wadham College and on Thursday, November 28 from 17:00-19:00, at the Surgery, Trinity College. Free postal tests are also available from the Terrence Higgins Trust.