The Sound of Movies

Forget Zimmer’s epic soundtracks and Williams’ brooding scores, some of the most unforgettable musical moments in cinematic history have been created with popular music – familiar tracks which momentarily bridge the gap between a film’s world and your own. The technique often runs the risk of being televisual and ‘gimmicky’, yet the finest directors are sensitive to the way certain records can enhance films in strange and compelling ways.

One needs only to look at this year’s Oscar nominations to see how masterfully the technique can be executed; in The Wolf of Wall Street Scorsese juxtaposes a party scene of bacchanalian excess with Elmore James’ “Dust My Broom”, 12 Years A Slave sees an achingly powerful rendition of John Legend’s “Roll Jordan Roll”,  Jennifer Lawrence performs an angry, alcohol-fuelled living-room solo of “Live And Let Die” in American Hustle while George Clooney in Gravity hauntingly listens to the folk song “Angels Are Hard to Find” as he floats into the void.

With this in mind, I’ve ordered my fifteen favourite examples of the way songs have been incorporated into movies. 

15) Enya – “Orinoco Flow”(The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo – 2011)

Stellan Skarsgard meandering over to his cassette player to switch on the mellow, new-age melody of Enya’s 1988 track while Daniel Craig hangs breathless in a harness, ready to be tortured. It is one of the most deliciously creepy moments of recent cinema; an episode which alone justifies the $100 million remake of the Swedish thriller. David Fincher had already done something similar in his 2007 film Zodiac, playing out the serial-killer’s first crime against Donovan’s “Hurdy Gurdy Man,” assuring that you will never listen to these tracks in the same way again.

14)  Elton John – “Tiny Dancer” (Almost Famous – 2000)

Whilst I wasn’t as struck with Cameron Crowe’s film as many were and nor am I particularly fond of Elton John, it’s frankly very difficult not to be swept up in this emotional rendition of “Tiny Dancer”. What begins as a seemingly commonplace musical sequence becomes (about 1 minute in) a collaborative cathartic release for the tensions within the band. A real gem.

13)  Kym Mazelle – “Young Hearts Run Free” (Romeo + Juliet – 1996)

Yes, you’re probably sick of the film (probably having watched it on repeat in GCSE English lessons) but that doesn’t detract from the thrill of watching Shakespeare’s Mercutio transformed into a sassy drag-queen who performs a dazzlingly camp dance-routine to this disco anthem at the Capulets’ party. Bizarre. Then again, this is the director who made stage thespian Jim Broadbent sing Madonna’s “Like A Virgin” in Moulin Rouge and introduced Fitzgerald’s “Jazz Age” New York with the music of Jay-Z and Andre 3000.

12) Chuck Berry – “You Never Can Tell” (Pulp Fiction – 1994)

It’s a classic film with so many brilliant tracks. While one could choose Neil Diamond’s “Girl You’ll Be A Woman Soon” or Dusty Springfield’s “Son Of A Preacher Man”, it is Chuck Berry’s track which gets to accompany the famous dance sequence between Uma Thurman and John Travolta.

11) Roberta Flack – “Killing Me Softly” (About A Boy – 2002)

It’s a moment up with there with Hugh Grant’s dance to “Jump” by The Pointer Sisters in Love Actually, but this scene is particularly heart-warming, with a young Hugh Grant helping out an even younger Nicholas Hoult in the school talent show.

10) The Faces – “Ooh La La” (Rushmore – 1998)

Wes Anderson’s second feature film tells the story of eccentric teenager Max Fischer (Jason Schwartzman) and his doomed love for elementary school teacher Rosemary Cross (Olivia Williams). Although unsuccessful in his love, Fischer is granted a dance with Cross in the final scene – a beautiful ending.

9) Tears For Fears – “Head Over Heels” (Donnie Darko – 2001)

A brilliantly weird sequence in this movie masterpiece. The new-wave British band’s 1984 hit plays as the camera pans through Darko’s high-school corridor and courtyard, fitting in perfectly with a film which is, at once, both banal and psychadelic (especially with the short but hilarious sequence following the 01:50 drumroll). 

8) Huey Lewis and The News – “Hip To Be Square” (American Psycho – 2000)

Christian Bale gives the most fantastically neurotic performance of his career in this film, culminating in this scene in which he critically analyses “Huey Lewis and The News” before chopping Jared Leto to bits. The band apparently refused to allow the song to appear on the film’s album soundtrack, criticising the scene’s violence, but its inclusion perfectly captures the horrific comedy of Bret Easton Ellis’ novel.

7) Hall & Oates – “You Make My Dreams Come True” (500 Days Of Summer – 2009)

500 Days of Summer is a “love it or hate it” rom-com containing hazardous levels of “quirkiness”, yet even this surreal sequence of Joseph Gordon Levitt feeling on top of the world is sure to warm the heart of the most cynical viewer. No? Congratulations, you really are a cynic.

6)  Edvard Grieg – “In The Hall of The Mountain King” (The Social Network – 2010)

Perhaps it is a stretch to call Grieg’s 1876 orchestral piece “popular music” – especially when it has been dazzlingly remixed by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, yet The Social Network’s Henley Regatta sequence is a virtuoso piece of film-making which is made more enthralling by a striking update on this familiar classical track. (The film also closes with a brilliant use of The Beatles’ “Baby You’re A Rich Man”).

5) The Shins – “New Slang” (Garden State – 2004)

Garden State was a remarkable directorial debut for Zach Braff. About 30 minutes in, the protagonist meets Natalie Portman’s character who plays him this “The Shins” track in the doctor’s waiting room. It’s an incredible moment, and one only wishes Braff had kept the song playing for a couple more seconds. Nevertheless, we can expect more Braff magic in his Sundance-acclaimed second feature Wish I Was Here out later 2014.

4)  Dick Burnett – “Man Of Constant Sorrow” (O Brother, Where Art Thou? – 2000)

The Coen brothers here demonstrate a love of folk music (which has been rekindled this year with Inside Llewyn Davis) with this George Clooney led rendition of the traditional Dick Burnett track. The performance plays a central part in the movie, unwittingly turning three prisoners into a famous musical act called “The Soggy Bottom Boys”. The movie’s entire album soundtrack is awesome.

3) Stealers Wheel – “Stuck In The Middle With You” (Reservoir Dogs -1992)

Tarantino’s second appearance on the list is a classic piece of film-making, an infamously violent scene set against the 1972 folk-rock hit. Our simultaneous horror and complicit enjoyment of Michael Madsen’s sociopathic act broke generic boundaries which paved the way for David Fincher and Mary Harron’s similar use of the technique (see above).

2) Scott Fitzgerald and Yvonne Keeley – “If I Had Words” (Babe – 1995)

A sentimental choice it may be, but Babe is an absolute gem of a movie. Criminally, it is the only film of James Cromwell’s career to earn him an Academy Award nomination but it is deserving recognition nonetheless; in this scene he sings the 1978 UK hit to his “sheep-pig” before breaking out into a glorious dance routine. Beautiful stuff.

1) Roachford – “Cuddly Toy” (Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa – 2013)

Steve Coogan said in an interview that this sequence was initially only filmed to be used as a short clip, but the single 90 second shot made it into the movie in its entirety – and it’s pure genius, with Partridge on his commute to work lip-syncing better than Beyoncé. While not the best film on the list, this opening sequence is unforgettable.