Cambridge Union’s Julian Assange invitation sparks outrage

The Cambridge Union has faced strong criticism this week over its decision to invite Julian Assange to speak in a debate at the society on November 11th, and to hold a referendum amongst its membership to confirm or decline the offer of a formal invitation. The Union’s Women’s Officer, Helen Dallas, has also resigned after being left unconsulted.

Assange has had a European Arrest Warrant in place against him since 2012, issued by Sweden, on suspicion of ‘lesser degree rape’. He has been living in the Ecuadorian embassy in London ever since, where he remains now, and cannot be arrested for as long as he remains in the building, which is outside UK jurisdiction.

If the members of the Cambridge Union vote ‘yes’ to inviting him, he would appear by video-link only.

Assange fears extradition to the United States on suspicion of espionage in his role as founder of Wikileaks if he goes to Sweden.

Cambridge for Consent’s College Representative Coordinator Megan Rees issued a statement, which she shared with Cherwell, stating, “Cambridge for Consent rejects the idea that the Cambridge Union Society referendum on Julian Assange is anything other than the next insult in a wearisome and historically destructive series of offences committed against survivors of rape and sexual assault.

“In even opening this issue up for discussion, the Union creates a space for those in our society who continue to silence and undervalue the voices of those, who have been victimised or attacked.

“Assange’s justification for remaining in the Ecuadorian Embassy is dubious. Disregarding the 1983 extradition treaty between Sweden and the US, which states that no one can be extradited under threat of political or espionage charges, or the death penalty, Assange asserts that his position is for fear of being snatched from Sweden and transported to the US to face charges and potential trial. This is why he has not returned to face an independent judiciary. ‘Innocent until proven guilty’ loses its ring when the accused evades any chance of being proven to be anything.”

Cambridge Union President Oliver Mosley, commenting on the Union’s decision, said, “Considering the unique nature of Mr Assange’s position…the decision has been taken to consult the entire membership of the Union around the world on the platforming of him as a speaker during Michaelmas term.”

He went on to hit out at at the reaction to the invitation and referendum, lambasting the “unfair, ridiculous over the top, and frankly insulting” press coverage surrounding the matter.

Mosley admitted that “no one ever thought” to include the Women’s Officer in discussions on hosting Assange and that she “left because she didn’t feel like her voice was heard at the Union”.

Rees added, “[The Cambridge Union] are using their position and status for the real world equivalent of click-bait, showing yet again that getting bottoms on seats (presumably mostly middle class, white, male bottoms) is more important to them than using their position to protect and amplify the voices of those who most need their help.”

Assange spoke via video-link at an Oxford Union event celebrating whistle-blowers in January 2013, attracting a protest of around 50 people.