In defence of the Union

Brutal backstabbing politics (if that, in itself, is not tautology), scandal stacking upon scandal, too expensive, too corrupt, too up themselves… we’ve all heard the arguments.

But with the Freshers’ Open Period drawing to a close, and with many pidges full of polemic propaganda, denouncing the Union as an unmitigated waste of money, it seems only right for someone to step out of the mire of criticism and make the case for the defence.

The Union is not perfect. But unlike those who agree with Luke Barratt’s recent article and are ‘horrified by the iniquities of the den of evil that the Oxford Union has become’, I wish simply to make an apology, in the true Greek sense of the word: a defence of the Union as a unique Oxford institution that provides unparalleled opportunities for its members.

It’s worth rebutting the financial point head on. The fee of £223 in the Freshers’ Open Period for life membership is a lot. Even some of the Union’s greatest advocates are known to have hummed and hawed about it at first. So I am not just going to say that, when divided over your university career, let alone your lifetime, taking into account everything the Union has to offer, it’s a bargain. There’s more to it than that.

The value of the Union depends on how much you use it. It may not be for everyone: if you don’t like having the rare chance to listen to world-famous speakers, socializing in the bar, or studying in one of the most beautiful and one of the largest lending libraries in Oxford, then obviously it’s a waste, rather like that swanky sandwich maker you bought last summer but never used after 0th week.

But it really doesn’t take long for you to get your money’s worth.

For all the hacking and devious deal making behind closed doors, it is totally misguided and misleading to say that the Union is merely a political playground for those with egos large enough to have the vain hope, as Barratt puts it, of being parachuted into some safe Tory seat one day. The Union is so much more than this.

At its heart remain the speaker events and weekly debates, when any member can show up, raise their membership card, and give their opinion, frequently scrutinizing internationally renowned speakers on subjects important to them. And, what’s more, the worldwide reputation of the Union draws an unrivalled mix of people from all walks of life, ensuring that there is something for everyone- from Alan Sugar to Alesha Dixon and Vince Cable- and that was just week one.

But the Union isn’t just about its speakers. Its other facilities and social events make Frewin Court one of the best places to be in Oxford to work and socialize. The debate continues in the bar, an ideal location, in the sometimes cloistered social life of collegiate living, to meet with friends from different colleges over cheap drinks. And the library? Well, see for yourself: just take out a book, write an essay or read the papers under its Pre-Raphaelite murals.

It would though be similarly misguided to suggest that Oxford students will ever by united in their opinion on the Union and, ultimately, it is up to freshers to decide whether the Union is worth the money. I just hope that they will be able to make a rational decision that is right for them, unjaded by the current culture of unfair condemnation. For, love it or loath it, the Union will always remain what we make of it.