Andy Murray – Sports personality of the Year?

Glitz and glamour were in abundance at the BBC Sports Personality of the Year awards in 2015. However, the delight of BBC producers, controversy was minimal. Despite Heavyweight Champion of the World Tyson Fury being the subject of protests as a result of his homophobic and misogynistic comments, within the Belfast venue was relaxed and calm for what was a celebration of sport in 2015. 

And there certainly has been a lot to celebrate: the Ashes, Davis Cup, Chris Froome’s Tour de France win, Jessica Ennis-Hill’s return to competition, success in the Women’s football World Cup, an amazing Rugby World Cup and more. There has also been a lot to commemorate and remember with the passing of stars such as Jonah Lomu and Danny Jones in the past year. 

With Andy Murray triumphing in the overall award, the Davis Cup team winning Team of the Year and New Zealand Fly Half Dan Carter winning the overseas Sports Personality of the Year Awards the ceremony seemed to be nothing special, it was conventional, it was the same as it is every year. 

The fact of the matter is simply that sport stars lack personality. Unlike at the Oscars there is no opening monologue from a comic host, there is no mass selfie taken by David Beckham and the addresses from winners are enough to put you to sleep. Even Andy Murray’s joke about how dull he is fell flat, further reinforcing his reputation as the most boring man in tennis. The Sports Personality of the Year Awards are a misnomer in this case and whilst important to recognise sporting acheivements I do not believe any star nominated should be given an award based on their personality. 

The winner of the evening, in my eyes at least, goes not to a venerable legend of sport, nor a rising star to watch out for in Rio 2015. Rather it goes to a young eight-year-old with Cerebal Palsy called Bailey Matthews. Winning the Helen Rollason award after he completed a triathlon against the odds he captivated the audience and owned the stage like a rock god at the O2 Arena. “Thank you,” he screamed into the microphone, wearing a cheeky grin on his face and a little bow tie around his neck. Unphased by an audience containing some of the most famous faces on the planet, he had them in the palm of his hand and has won the hearts of the millions of viewers at home. Perhaps he should have won the main Sports Personality of the Year Award instead!