Designer to street

This season in winter fashion it is all about furs and pale winter landscape colours. Inspired by warmth and frost toned versions of the usual summer pastels; think cool blues and blush pinks accented by silver touches. The biggest names in runway fashion kicked off the trend this year-Chanels models sported furry detached sleeves at the 15-16 Fall/Winter Fashion week, while Elie Saab brought forth gowns stunningly reminiscent of snowy landscapes.

Two of her most gorgeous designs are reminiscent of skeletal trees and adorned with rhinestones or accents of metallic rose gold, bringing forth the height of beauty in the winter season.

However, as gorgeous as these runway trends are, the gowns seen on the catwalk are hardly wearable in everyday life. So how do these works of art translate to fashion for the everyday student?

The easiest way to incorporate furs into outfits appropriate for either day or night is of course the faux fur jacket. Cheaper (and more conscientious) than the real deal, faux fur jackets and gilets have been a huge success in the UK and abroad on this years high street and department store shelves. Found everywhere from Harrods to Zara to Primark, there are options ranging in price from £15-£100. Try one with a hood or high collar-itll eliminate the need for a scarf or hat should the weather turn unexpectedly rainy.

These frosty pastel colour palettes, too, are an easy addition to incorporate into everyday wear. Silvery grey and pale pinks are popular shades for the aforementioned furs and provide a refreshing deviation from the more standard tones of brown and black. Champagne coloured shoes add a neutral but shimmery touch to any outfit, and are well known as a popular alternative to a simple matte nude shoe.

Makeup is also an excellent addition to any winter wardrobe this season: Urban Decay’s Naked 3 and Makeup Revolution’s Iconic 3 embrace the rose gold tones Saab utilised so well, in a more wearable format, while highlighters and strobing (think Mac’s Soft and Gentle mineralize skin finish) add a more subtle shimmer to the cheekbones and high points of the face.

If you want to add a touch of these winter styles without completely overhauling your wardrobe or the hassle of applying eyeliner before a 9 AM lecture-a sentiment with which we can all empathize-consider adding just a few basic accessories. A fluffy scarf or bobble hat are both cute and practical, and for the ultimate easy upgrade, a pair of earmuffs are never amiss. With faux fur, sheepskin, and colorful knit options abundant in the accessory sections of most major department stores, they can be both bought cheaply and added hassle-free to any winter outfit.

With some Christmas and New Years sales still ongoing in many stores, the value on these pieces has never been better. So whether you want to completely change your look or just add a few pieces to your current style-happy shopping!