This is hands-down one of the most comforting and easy snacks – the standard cheese on toast pales in comparison to this classic New York grilled cheese sandwich.
2 pieces of white bread (a fresh loaf will make a much tastier sandwich than a sliced loaf)
White cheddar cheese
Yellow cheddar cheese
Red Leicester cheese
1. Generously butter both pieces of bread on one side each.
2. Slice as much of all the cheeses as you like – try to slice them quite thin so they melt quicker.
3. Lay out the cheese on the unbuttered side of one piece of bread.
4. Place the other piece of bread on top, with the buttered side again on the outside.
5. Melt some butter in a frying pan, and place the sandwich in the pan.
6. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side, flipping it over when the bread is golden brown.
7. Once the cheese is melted, take your grilled cheese out of the pan and enjoy.
This is a really simple and classic grilled cheese sandwich, but there is a world of grilled cheese before you to explore! As long as you have butter, bread, and some kind of cheese you’ll be off to a flying start. Here are some ideas to get you started…
– Swap the red leicester for mozzarella, and add some rocket, cherry tomatoes and proscuitto.
– Cook some pancetta and arrange on top of the cheese with some cherry tomatoes and sweetcorn.
– Swap all the cheese for goats cheese and throw in some roast peppers, artichokes and olive tapenade.