App launched to help new students navigate Oxford

The app features the presidents of Oxford SU, the African and Caribbean Society (ACS) and the Dramatic Society, as well as the Bodleian librarian

The University of Oxford has launched a new app which uses smartphone navigation to guide newcomers around Oxford, featuring tips from staff and students on navigating the city.

Narrated by current Oxford student Charlotte Laycock, the app, Know Your Oxford, features the presidents of Oxford SU, the African and Caribbean Society (ACS) and the Dramatic Society. The Bodleian librarian as well as other students and faculty members also feature on the platform.

The tour “outlines the role of colleges and departments; gives the inside view on academic dress and ceremonies; and points out the museums, libraries and other attractions,” according to the University.

“If you want to get to grips with life at the university… this tour is a must.”

Taking students through the historic heart of Oxford, the tour passes iconic landmarks like the Radcliffe Camera and Sheldonian Theatre, whilst weaving in a detailed history of the university and city.

The tour also includes practical advice on life as an Oxford student, and contains important information about the Student Union and other services provided by the University. More basic advice about how to find shops and places to eat and drink is also provided.

On Wednesday, Oxford SU tweeted: “It has been fun to help on this project and share out wisdom.” They described the app as “a must have tool for any new students!”

The app is free and is the first university tour map made available on the popular new “Voice Map” platform.