Oxford Majlis Society returns

In its prime the society counted Benazir Bhutto as among its members

After decades of inactivity, the Oxford Majlis Society has re-established its presence at the university, launching the Majlis Magazine and electing a new committee.

Despite a legacy of informed debate, the South Asian debating society fell into inactivity in recent decades, and efforts are now being realised.

The Majlis was originally founded in 1896 as a debating society to campaign for Indian independence in the UK. The society was set up with a structure modelled on the Oxford Union and the Cambridge Majlis.

Srishti Arora, a member of the steering committee, told Cherwell: “Majlis is important to ensure that Oxford’s historic connection with South Asia is never forgotten, for the students to have a safe space to debate issues in South Asia and to promote unity between South Asian students.” Majlis played a role in the Indian independence movement and was investigated by the Home Office and Foreign Office for its associations with independence leaders such as Liaquat Ali Khan, one of the founding fathers of Pakistan. The society can also be seen to have influenced South Asian politics post-independence, with Benazir Bhutto, the first female Prime Minister of Pakistan, and Indira Gandhi, India’s first female Prime Minister, both members of the society. Rabii Malik, a second year studying PPE at St. Anne’s and the president of the Pakistan Society told Cherwell: “The revival of Majlis is a much-needed initiative empowering South Asians at Oxford and offering us a unique way.

Majlis played a role in the Indian independence movement and was investigated by the Home Office and Foreign Office for its associations with independence leaders such as Liaquat Ali Khan, one of the founding fathers of Pakistan.

The society can also be seen to have influenced South Asian politics post-independence, with Benazir Bhutto, the first female Prime Minister of Pakistan, and Indira Gandhi, India’s first female Prime Minister, both members of the society.

Rabii Malik, a second year studying PPE at St. Anne’s and the president of the Pakistan Society told Cherwell: “The revival of Majlis is a much-needed initiative empowering South Asians at Oxford and offering us a unique way to stay in touch with our heritage.”

The Majlis steering committee have launched a magazine, a series of debates and an active fundraising campaign in order to raise their profile.

An active committee member, Musty Kamal, told Cherwell: “The reason I was so eager to restart the society is because it is so important.

“With divisive rhetoric becoming commonplace in South Asia it is important that students at Oxford, who will be instrumental in shaping the region, build on our common values and common vision.”

Musty Kamal has re-launched the Majilis Magazine this term.

Shahnur Chauhan, the elected secretary, told Cherwell: “Majlis represents a time when students from similar backgrounds discussed issues that mattered in an attempt to make a difference.

“The platform is required because the problems may have changed but they certainly do exist.”