Counter homelessness initiative launched in South Oxfordshire

The pilot project will provide housing for homeless people with complex needs

Soha House are jointly funding the ‘Housing First’ project with South Oxford District Council, which focuses on providing housing for homeless people with complex needs. Six homes are being provided in the ‘pilot’ stage of the initiative.

Soha House is one of the largest housing associations in the country when measured by growth and has over 6,700 homes in Oxfordshire alone. 

Aspire Oxford, a homelessness support charity, are also working with SODC and Soha House on the project. Their Chief Executive Officer Paul Roberts told Cherwell, “Aspire are delighted to be working in partnership with Soha Housing and SODC to deliver this Housing First project.”

“We applaud Soha Housing and SODC for showing leadership by piloting this model in partnership with Aspire, and hope that other housing associations will emulate this approach in their areas across Oxfordshire.”

“Aspire will be providing intensive, wrap-around support to former rough sleepers with complex needs, which allows them to make significant, positive changes to their lives. The Housing First approach is a vital way forward in tackling our community’s growing homeless crisis and we look forward to working in partnership with Soha Housing and SODC as the project develops.”

Director of Services and Communities at Soha Maureen Adams said, “Soha is committed to working in partnership with SODC to tackle homelessness. Our residents are fully behind this project and want to see us make a difference in their locality.”

When asked about the potential for expanding the project, Ms Adams said, “Soha is undertaking an independent evaluation on the findings of the project so that it can warrant additional support and be rolled out with partners in other locations”. 

Councillor David Rouane, cabinet member for South Oxfordshire District Council, said, “South Oxfordshire District Council is delighted to be working with Soha and Aspire to help some of the district’s most vulnerable residents.  Housing First provides a stable, supportive environment for former rough sleepers to rebuild their lives”.