Christ Church Chef avoids prison for knife threat

On 30th January 2020, Christ Church kitchen staff member was spared jail yesterday for threatening a bouncer outside of Kiss Bar after a staff party on the evening of 10 January.

The kitchen staffer, Dean Lewis, 28 years old, had already admitted one count of a knife threat in a public place.

Oxford Crown Court heard from prosecutor Julian Lynch that the incident took place in the early hours after the staff party outside Kiss Bar on Park End Street.

After being denied re-entry due to intoxication, the situation escalated with verbal abuse and then revealed what was described in court as a ‘lock knife’ with a 6cm blade. Then Lewis threatened stabbing bouncer, Emeka Collins.

The police were called in the early hours of 11 January and Lewis was arrested and the knife he threatened the bouncer with was found in his pocket. During his police interview Lewis claimed that he could remember little about the night because of the amount of alcohol he had drunk.

The court also heard that Lewis has a number of previous convictions including the possession of a blade and wounding.

Described in a reference by his steward at Christ Church, Lewis was termed a “hard-working and talented young chef”.

Lewis pleaded guilty and the Sentencing, Judge Ian Pringle QC ordered a 12-month jail term, suspended for two years. Lewis was also ordered to complete two programmes to tackle the charge of his offences and that he must obey a two-month curfew.

Christ Church have declined to comment on Lewis’ employment status and any plans put measures in place to discourage excessive drinking at staff socials in the future.