VP Women, Ellie Greaves, resigns from Oxford SU

The Oxford University Student Union’s VP Women, Ellie Greaves, has resigned from her role this afternoon. She states that she has done so “to prioritise my health and wellbeing” and will officially leave the post on 17th March.

Following the SU’s reshuffle of sabbatical officer roles last year, the position of VP Women will be replaced with VP Liberation and Equalities next academic year. In Michaelmas 2022, Greaves told Cherwell “I think there’s a risk that the removal of VP Women will send the message that “sexism is solved”, when it really isn’t”.

However, she subsequently issued an apology that her comments in the article contributed to a “bio-essentialist, narrow-minded narrative of what being a woman is”.

In her resignation today, Greaves said: “My time as VP Women has been challenging and I have learnt an incredible amount along the way.” She added, “I hope that we continue to see a culture of respect and kindness grow throughout the Oxford student body … I wish nothing but the best for the entire SU team and for the newly elected officers in their upcoming year.”

Last week, Kennedy Aliu was elected to the new role of VP Liberation and Equalities.

This article will be updated as more information about the resignation of VP Women becomes available.