Meet the candidates! Cherwell Town Hall HT23

Each term, the end of 7th week heralds Oxford Union elections. Cherwell sat down with this term’s candidates for the presidency to learn more about them, their reasons for running, and visions for the Union. 

Disha Hegde, St John’s College, 2nd year History

What’s your main motivation to run for President of the Oxford Union?

I got my Union membership after watching its debate videos on YouTube and thought it would be a great opportunity to meet inspirational people. I decided not to get involved for the first few weeks at Oxford because the Union reputation is not great. But, I gave it a go and it’s given me access to amazing opportunities: I’ve debated alongside Stephen Fry, met Anthony Joshua, and questioned Matt Hancock. So I saw the problems in the Union but I also saw the things the Union does really well. Now I want to improve outreach and inclusion, the quality of our events (we rarely hold controversial speakers to account adequately), and our financial stability. As well, I’m the only candidate who serves as an officer and I’m from a “non-traditional” background.

What commitments and experience do you have outside the Union and how do you think that would impact your role as President?

I served as Co-Chair of the Women*’s Campaign, where I’ve lobbied colleges to improve their policies regarding women and gender minorities. This has given me a really good insight into the institutional problems women* face. The same problems exist in the Union; we do need policy change. I’m also a trustee of the mental health charity, The Mix which has helped understand how to tackle mental health from an institutional perspective.

Every president has a manifesto, but lots of voters won’t read them. If you could highlight two manifesto points that you think every Oxford student should hear, what would they be?

I want to improve the experience of the Union for the ordinary member. I’ve done that partly through introducing Member Question submissions and changing the way the interview process works. I want to do it further by introducing suggestions, open surgeries so the people who decide how the Union works aren’t restricted to the friends of the committee.

I also want to make the Union less of an exclusive society and integrate it more with Oxford life. So I want to work with more societies and run ‘how to get involved’ workshops to help reach under-represented groups. I want to help more people to get access to the incredible opportunities I’ve had access to. 

If you could invite any three speakers to the Union, who would they be?

• Rihanna
  • Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
  • Emma Raducanu

Juan Dávila, St John’s College, 4th year Engineering

I like fixing things and I think the Union is broken. I’m running under #Come, funny as it is – and I do think it’s hilarious. The Union used to be more at the centre of Oxford life, so we should continue to drive membership to make it the case again.

Every president has a manifesto, but lots of voters won’t read them. If you could highlight one manifesto point that you think every Oxford student should hear, what would they be?

I have entered the Union building more than any other candidate. I like that pledge because I had to prove it; it shows something. I’ve got 905 more proven instances of entering the Union than any other candidate. It demonstrates how much I want this. 

I’ve been alive more than any other candidate so, in some sense, I’ve got more experience than any of them. I’ve been a member longer than anyone else as well. I’ve seen good and bad presidents; I’ve seen it all.

I do have one claim in my manifesto which literally says “INSERT CLAIM HERE”. Hilarious, but what does it mean? It means that I want to listen. I won’t be a complete candidate until you tell me what you guys want. It is a commitment to have an open-door policy. My manifesto is built around as many people as possible.

• The Pope
  • Lee Mack (he is the fastest brain I’ve ever seen)
  • The MythBusters (they’re the reason I’m an engineer)

Chloe Glynn, St Anne’s College, final year Geography

I got involved in the Union after Hilary in my first year, after a term went by when I wasn’t going to get involved at all because the society didn’t have a good reputation. But I would rather change the Union from the inside, I’d rather see it be more representative of people, and uphold free speech in a way where we have a right to free speech and others the right to be offended. The best way to do that now would be to have better relationships with people outside and be able to collaborate with people and other societies. I got involved in Committee because I wanted to find a way to uphold free speech where everyone could feel comfortable with it. And play my own part in making free speech for everyone. Not just the one side.

Anyone can write a manifesto. I think the difference between me and the other candidate is the fact that I’ve run the daily operations. My slate, it’s not a slate of hacks, which we have seen time and time again, it’s myself, who has run the operations and knows the events inside and out, and the staff and committee management. This is a slate of competence, and that experience is useful. I hope there’s an appeal in trying to find a different way of running the union with members first, because you’re voting for somebody who has been around the members and had those one-on-one conversations with them everyday. 

Also, I’m really excited to pledge more alumni networking events and mentorship, to make a formal mentor program to aid social mobility and the perks of being a members club. 

I think that I have had certain personal experiences and my background is quite interesting. My Mum is Indian, but I’m very white presenting. I came out as gay and it was a sort of thing where overnight you’re suddenly viewed differently, and you get different comments. Debates should go ahread, we should have those conversations, but in a way that’s respectful to everyone. My background was not a background where you would think she’s going to come out and get into Oxford. But, I don’t want that to be the reason that people vote for me. It’s about competence. I think those experiences lend themselves to an immense desire to want to do more for the members, to do more for people from non-traditional backgrounds. I think when you have more members from diverse backgrounds that only helps free speech, because it’s free speech for everyone.

• Boris Johnson
  • Taylor Swift
  • The English Lionesses
  • (Maybe also Jean Whitehorse, a Native American anti-sterilisation activist if I can slip in a 4th!)

Voting will take place in the Union on Friday, March 3rd.