Hillary Clinton becomes Mansfield fellow

The former Secretary of State unveiled a statue of Eleanor Roosevelt at the Monday evening event

Former US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was in conversation with former Mansfield Principal Baroness Helena Kennedy QC (left) at the Monday event (PHOTO: Oscar Baker / Cherwell)

Former US presidential candidate Hillary Clinton has today become an Honorary Fellow of Mansfield College as part of a two-day visit to Oxford.

Secretary Clinton unveiled a statue of Eleanor Roosevelt at the University’s Bonavero Institute of Human Rights to mark the 70th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), which Roosevelt was instrumental in drafting.

In an accompanying conversation with former Mansfield Principal Baroness Helena Kennedy QC, Clinton noted that “democracy is under siege,” telling the assembled audience that “when you move away from democracy…you lose human rights.”

The former US Secretary of State will deliver the keynote speech at tomorrow’s conference, entitled ‘Confronting Illiberalism: The Role of the Media, Civil Society and Universities.’ Oxford Vice-Chancellor Louise Richardson will also speak at the event.

To a audience of Oxford academics and distinguished guests, Mrs Clinton said: “Democracy is under siege, international cooperation is being diminished and dismissed, and we have to ask ourselves, how do we maintain the democratic experiment in self government and how do we find the cooperation around the world and stand against this tide that seems to be sweeping Europe and the United States that is really undermining the extraordinary work that was done.”

In a wide-ranging conversation, Clinton also described recently confirmed US Supreme Court Associate Justice, Brett Kavanaugh, as “somebody that would protect the President.” On Brexit, she noted that Leave voters wanted to feel “their futures are given appropriate respect”. Secretary Clinton also stressed that she could not understand why the press, public and political establishment are “so reluctant to call out what the Russians have been doing.”

This evening’s event was titled ‘An Evening Celebration Of Three Remarkable Women: Eleanor Roosevelt, Secretary Hillary Rodham Clinton & Baroness Helena Kennedy QC.’

Oxford University’s Bonavero Institute of Human Rights was officially opened earlier this year by the late, former UN Secretary General Kofi Annan.

Secretary Clinton lost the 2016 race for the White House to Donald Trump. A former First Lady and US Senator for New York, Clinton said at the event: “As we learn more about the role that Putin, oligarchs around him, the Russian government particularly, the intelligence forces have played, we see that it’s not just what they did in our election in the United States. They have been actively supporting right wing political parties and politicians.”

The bronze statue of Roosevelt was created by artist Penelope Jencks. At the unveiling, in front of around 200 Mansfield students and event guests, Clinton noted that it was the second casting of an earlier statue currently found in Riverside Park, New York City.

6 COMMENTS

1. Denocracy isn’t under siege. The US had a democratic election and Mrs Clinton lost. Democrat that she is, she believed that being married to a former president gave her the right to be president herself. The American people decided otherwise.

2. Am seriously displeased with Mansfield trying to spin Hillary as some defender of human rights, after her support for the Saudi’s (not really different to Handmaid’s Tale in Saudi Arabia), opposition to universal healthcare and support of the death penalty, in addition to supporting racist crime policies and welfare reforms (cuts) back in the pre-Bush days when Bill was President, and support for military interventions abroad (not just Iraq, either). And I shall also mention that she also voted against a bill to ban partial birth abortion (intact dilation and extraction to use the medical term) back in 2005 while a Senator for New York, despite it having reasonably broad exemptions. (That’s an objectively barbaric proceedure that kills the child as it’s being born and banning it is one of the few times the Republicans actually did something good). You do not need to be even vaguely close to pro-life to support a ban on doctors doing that; it’s obviously infanticide and did happen after fetal viability (indeed, it’s a late 2nd/3rd trimester proceedure).

She clearly hasn’t learnt a thing from the general given that she seems more keen on attacking Trump/Republicans and saber rattling against Russia than saying how she plans to expand human rights herself (spoiler, she thinks military force the answer much of the time). Being objectively better than Toddler Trump does not mean she deserves to be praised, trusted to oppose the dodgy special interests that Trump was/is part of, or even voted for; not least when she even attended Trump’s wedding to Melania back in 2005! (Though Trump was a self-professed Democrat then, he still had some nationalistic and authorotarian tendancies back then, and had done for quite some time.)

• Hillary has never acted out of principle, but always out of naked political ambition. But the American people have seen through her, even if Mansfield (which wasn’t a college in my day) hasn’t.

• You know, I couldn’t agree more. I’m anti-Trump and protested him a couple of times, I just wish that there had been some protests against Hillary as well in light of the issues I raised above. Though I think Trump is so obviously guilty of more or less everything I criticise Hillary about above (and he’s even more of a blatant liar than Hillary) except perhaps the partial-birth abortion now (though I think he’s lying about opposing abortion except politically and did support partial-birth back in the day) and single-payer in the past (no idea if he supports it but just plays partisan games or U-turned on his previous positions). I am so glad I don’t live in the US, though I’d have to vote 3rd party (Greens) instead.

3. Mrs CLINTON.

” I did NOT have Sexual Relations with THAT Woman.

Mary Caitlin Mahoney.

I did NOT authorise the Washington D. C. Starbucks
    ” robbery gone wrong “