The Week in Words

“We don’t have a perfect solution. Our perfect solution is to smash capitalism… The need to smash capitalism has become even more obvious over the past three or four years.” German SU President Thomas Sieron on tuition fees “[Blair] can then abolish them, which will be a fantastic example of the new policy of listening and consulting in action” Mandy Telford, NUS President Hmm… not quite the same fire. “They have failed us very badly” The England football team, on the FA. Latter-day Arthur Scargill “He clipped me around the ear and said something about my mother which upset me. ” David Beckham, on Turkish defender Alpay “The only reason I said anything to Beckham was that he swore at me first.” Alpay Children, children “We’re just a very cool band.” Shane from Westlife. Yes, we took it from Heat magazine. So sue us. “For the national team to win, I will fight, I will be dirty.” “Let Beckham apologize to the Turkish people and the national uniform that he spat at, then I’ll apologize to Beckham.” “When Beckham missed the penalty, I went up to him and said: God is big, justice has been done. If you had shot 100 times, they would all have missed,” More Alpay – sorry, I just like him “It’s like, yeah, Cleo is a player.” One A-level student, on Antony and Cleopatra. “If you are a 12-year-old girl or boy, you must go and see ‘Kill Bill,’ and you will have a damn good time. If you are a cool parent out there, go take your kids to the movie.” Quentin Tarantino on his 18-rated new film. “The thought of finally being able to have a proper lie-in is extremely appealing” Sara Cox makes the best of being fired from the Radio 1 breakfast show.ARCHIVE: 1st Week MT2003