Howard’s radical son takes orders

The son of Conservative Party leader Michael Howard is training to become an Anglican priest, six years after he was accused of “spiritual nazism” in Cherwell.Howard, who was brought up in the Jewish tradition of his father, was converted to Christianity at Eton College before studying for a BA English Literature degree at St. Catherine’s College. Whilst at Oxford he aroused controversy by organising a meeting of the Oxford Inter-Collegiate Christian Union, and encouraging members to bring Jewish friends to tell them about Christ and Christianity.Explaining his views, Howard said, “As Christians, it is our duty to reach Jews, who are a priority in our evangelism.” “It is a process of reasoning, persuading them to become Christians. Christianity is fulfilled Judaism,” he added. The specific targetting of Jewish people for conversion was attacked and Howard was accused of “spiritual nazism” in Cherwell by Shmuley Boteach, an Oxford rabbi.The dispute attracted national media attention, with Howard responding to Boteach’s accusions in a full article on The Daily Telegraph’s opinions page. After his degree Howard stayed on in Oxford as a Christian youth worker. He is in his first year of ordination training at Cranmer Hall, Durham.Archive: 0th week HT 2004