MP supports Azim in Oxford

St John’s first year Engineer Azim Ansari continues to remain in the country, despite the expiration of his official deadline for voluntary return to Afghanistan. The Home Office gave the refugee and his brother Wali until 19 March 2005 to leave England or face deportation, following the failure of their own appeal against the government’s decision not to grant them leave to remain in the country.
The Ansaris have been prevented from being sent back by the intervention of local Liberal Democrat MP Evan Harris. Harris has promised the brothers to put a motion through Parliament in support of their case. The Home Office is unlikely to deport the refugee while his MP’s appeals on his behalf are still being considered.
Emma Jones, a key figure in the ‘Keep Azim in Oxford’ Campaign, said, “Only the direct intervention of Des Browne or Charles Clarke will grant Azim and Wali a further period of exceptional leave to remain.”
Should Harris’ attempt to gather Parliamentary support fail, Azim’s only viable option would be to apply for a student or marriage visa either from New Delhi or Dubai. His marriage to Becky Didlick in November does not grant him the right to remain in the country. St John’s College has already offered to pay the £15,000 international student fees for which Azim would be liable.ARCHIVE: 0th week TT 2005